View Single Post
Old 12-28-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
CherylS

Dear Kriss,

We have all been where you are now. You have found a wonderful place for information. When I was diagnosed similar to you on March of 2005 the majority of my information came from the women on this website.

What your nurse has told you is actually good news! I was also stage I, 1.7 cm, ER+, HER2+++, grade 3. Of course being node negative is great news for you. Until they began using Herceptin in early stage breast cancer in May of 2005, being HER2 + made for a worse prognosis for recurrence. Now however, it actually makes for a better one, because you will be receiving Herceptin. The ER + is also very good news, because that means you will receive hormonal therapy which is very effective in preventing recurrence as well. What kind of medication you will be taking for this depends on if you are pre or post menopausal.

Now, this will seem like a bit of bad new, but please take heart, it really isn't that bad. You will have to discuss chemo with your oncologist, as Herceptin is most effective when give initially with a Taxane based chemo for 12 weeks, and then alone for the remainder of a year. Herceptin alone has very few if any side effects and is given every three weeks intraveniously after the initial 12 weekly doses with Taxane. Taxane is a very doable chemo. I felt very good while I was on it. There is now a new way of administering it that they didn't have when I had it which makes it even better. I don't know that you will receive AC chemo now, as just in the past few weeks new findings have been released suggesting it may not be necessary. Other women here will probably weigh in on this too who attended the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium just a couple of weeks ago.

You prognosis is very good. Please don't be afraid. I know the waiting is the worst thing ever. It is important that you feel confident in your oncologist. Do you live where there is good care available? It sounds like it so far.

Submit every question whirling around in your head to these wonderful women here. You will see, it will make all the difference in the world.

God Bless,