View Single Post
Old 12-27-2006, 05:24 PM   #13
Heart Sutra

Hi,

Thought I would look up The Lyon Study, since it was quoted as reducing coronary disease, and cancer mortality.

Alas, I could find no reference to cancer within the study.

Maybe I found the wrong one? Seems like all roads point back to this one study, and it was designed to rate coronary disease recurrance.
The study had flaws. Mainly lack of control of its "control" group, and exceedingly small sample. 300+ each of experimental and control individuals. The diet of either group was assessed once. Less than a third of the control, and less than half of the experimental group, provided dietary data at the final meeting.

The conclusion is that the role of diet is uncertain regarding this particular study of recurrant coronary events(!) Encouraging results were had, but the study was flawed enough to make it no more than interesting...far from conclusive. Again, nothing at all about cancer.

So, maybe I found the wrong study. There was another one based in France by the same name, but it was also a study of coronary illness, and no mention is made of cancer.

There does seem to be quite an interest in diet and cancer links.
There must be more carefully conducted studies somewhere of this topic.

Whenever a study is quoted, it's good to review the source of the study. There are a lot of claims out there...

Dx'd 10/06 IDC grade III/III
Er- pr- HER2 3+
MRM right breast 12/5/06
nodes negative
same day reconstruction started
(implants)
Stage II (2.2 cm tumor)
fairly extensive DCIS
Ct and Bone scans clean
Port placement 12/26/06
AC (4 cycles DD)to begin 1/2/07
Taxol/Taxotere (4 cycles DD)
Herceptin for one year

"There is no distinction between the one who gives, the one who receives, and the gift itself."- Hahn
Heart Sutra is offline   Reply With Quote