View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 03:07 PM   #12
tousled1

To answer your questions:

port - a msut have! I had mine put in and then went immediately for my first round of A/C. Did develop port related clots about 6 weeks after it was put it. Had to give myself shots in the stomach for a week then went on coumidin. Stayed on that until a week before surgery and have had no problems since.

A/C - you will definitely loose your hair. Mine started to fall out in clumps after about a week and a half. Had my daughter cut my hair as close to my scalp as possible. The rest of it fell out by day 16. I had a wig but only wore it twice. For some rason loosing my hair never bothered me. I wore hats (news boy style) when I went out and other than that just went ala natural. I was given EMEND the day of and then the next 2 days. Never got sick. I did get extremely tired.

I did not have Taxol/Herceptin but had Taxatere. With the taxatere I experienced a lot of neuropathy and bone pain. I had a lumbar spinal fusion in Dec 2004 so that contributed a lot to the bone pain. I am now getting Herceptin only every 3 weeks. One thing I hated about the Taxatere was the premeds (Decadron). It would wire me up for days and then all of a sudden, I guess when the steroids got out of my system, I would crash.

Like someone said earlier, chemo becomes a slight memory. It's hard for me to remember exactly what I experienced, but I know that I got through it and you will too!
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote