View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 07:55 AM   #4
KellyA

Hi there. I went for genetic counseling. It was very easy. I decided to have the bloodwork done and it took about 3 weeks to get an answer. I was negative. My insurance denied payment on the first ask, but paid in fulll on the second.

The prot was also very easy. I was very nervous. Needles don't usually bother me, but this did. I chose to have a "passport" instead of the standard prot in your chest. It is located on the upper inside of my arm and is not visible. My friend who went through chemo 2 years ago told me about it- I wouldn't have known to ask and my doc didn't offer it as an option. He was more than happy to let me have it when I brought it up. It has worked great. I didn't feel much at all when they put it in and it really wasn't bad. I got nervous for nothing.

AC came next. I lost my hair on day 14 (after the first tx). I had very long hair, so I shaved my head before it started to go. Actually I let my 3 boys give me a mohawk and my hubby carved the NY Yankees logo in the back of my head. I figured that I might as well have fun with it. The first AC really surprised me. I kept waiting for the bomb to drop and it never really did. I started my nausea meds the SECOND I got home and kept taking them for 4 days until I thought I was safe. The meds made me very tired, but I was ok otherwise. (CONTINUED)

Kelly
Stage 2b, 2 tumors- 2.2 cm and 0.6 cm, 3/5 + nodes
all scans clear
genetic testing- negative
06/06 began dd A/C x 4, 12 weekly Taxols w/ Herceptin
30 rads
Herceptin weekly x 1 year
Herceptin completed 08/07
Port removed 12/26/07 MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
05/17/08 Two year anniversary NED

"We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... you must do the thing that you think you cannot do."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

KellyA is offline   Reply With Quote