Thread: Just for fun...
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2006, 10:39 AM   #114
Heart Sutra

Sue and Kevin

"Eve-
Wheresoever she was, there was Eden" -mark twain

Sue and I met on March 25, 2005. A little less than 2 years ago, in better words, our whole lives.

At the non-stop pestering of a friend, I went with a group of people to a small cafe. I sat across the table from this beautiful woman who was talking about her (one of many simultaneous) jobs as a fitness instructor. I couldn't make the connection between the obviously intense fitness regime she practiced and the fact that she had her face practically submerged in a huge bowl of ice-cream.
I asked her (sarcastically I admit) if eating a gallon of ice-cream was part of some new work-out plan, and she said that there is absolutely no point in staying fit if you aren't going to enjoy yourself and eat whatever you want, and how she couldn't understand people who become obsessed with an idea of health to the point of making their lives one long penance of health food and weights.
As she came up from the bowl, with ice cream on her face, and I could see she was suddenly aware (embarassed?)that she was attacking this huge bowl in front of her. When she sheepishly caught my eye, I asked her if she was enjoying her ice-cream. She laughed and told me to perform something anatomically impossible.
The friend that had pestered me to go out with this group had been telling me for a year about this great woman she knew, and how her and I would be such a great match. I wasn't interested, having been through a terrible separation, and other relationships that seemed great for a moment, and then faded away. I was gladly destined to be a monk in a cave, without further insult from love or hope of love. This same friend had been telling this great woman about me as well, and she too, was not interested.
Neither Sue nor I knew that we were now sitting across from the wonderful person we had heard about for over a year. Strangely, even our friend hadn't planned this particular meeting.
We have been together every day since. We've both been married, have children, been through enough relationships to know what is good and what is not, and we have never once looked back from the moment we met, we never once considered "going slow." There really is a thing as a soul mate, a person who is more a part of you than you are a part of you ( make sense?) there really is very old, very sacred, Love...all we have to do is find it. I believe that Sue and I found this, I believe there is nothing more important, or better. Our screen name here is the title of a book (by Thich Nhat Hahn), an ancient idea, a practice, a way of life... It is what we are I think.

What do we do for a living? Stuff. When you have this...it makes no difference. Like many, what we do is not who we are. Together is who we are.

ask a simple question...

---Kevin and Sue---
Heart Sutra is offline   Reply With Quote