View Single Post
Old 11-10-2006, 09:13 AM   #1
Kaye

Fish Oil may help with apoptosis--may help chemotherapy work better

Thought this might be of interest to some:
http://www.leaonline.com/doi/abs/10....journalCode=nc

Apparently fish oil reduces "bcl-2"* Reducing bcl-2 may enhance chemotherapy drugs (see below).*
The next article talks about a new medication that enhances chemotherapy by blocking "bcl-2"* If thinking about taking fish oil, see my note at bottom.* Also, it is good idea to discuss w/dr's any complementary and alternatives that are taken.

http://www.formkit.com/Daily/DailyDe...m?chosen=64873
" About Genasense
Genasense inhibits production of Bcl-2, a protein made by cancer cells that is thought to block chemotherapy-induced apoptosis (programmed cell death). By reducing the amount of Bcl-2 in cancer cells, Genasense may enhance the effectiveness of current anticancer treatment. Genta is pursuing a broad clinical development program with Genasense evaluating its potential to treat various forms of cancer."
"Source: Genta Incorporated"
*COQ10 was recommended to me by one of my dr's as we were reviewing my medications. He recommended it after I told him that rather than increasing Lovastatin (because I was getting muscle cramps), I had added fish oil to my diet.* I thought he suggested the COQ10 because of the muscle cramps from the Lovastating UNTIL a few days later when I just happened to be listening to our local talk radio station and Dr. Dean Edell came on as a guest for a 5-minute blurb to talk about fish oil.* He said, normally, it is not a problem unless someone has a cardiac issue (I think he specifically mentioned congestive heart failiure) and indicated that in those it might cause heart palpitations.** My response--aha--so that was why the dr. (who happened to be a neurologist) may have recommended it.* Interestingly, I have never been dx'd with congestive heart failure.* In fact, even though I had a congenital murmer, my heart is strong.* I have had lower leg swelling of unknown cause.* And, I did notice initially what I thought was possible heart palpitations that coincided with taking fish oil but never even thought it was related.* I added the COQ10 and haven't had any more problem.
Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote