View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 01:30 PM   #2
KellyA

port and chemo

Hi Louise,

I did have my port put in prior to chemo, however looking back on it now, I would have been fine to get it in the day after. I really felt absolutely fine for at least 48 hours after chemo. It was a weird feeling- waiting for the "bomb to drop". It never really got too bad. I attribute this to taking my anti-nausea meds the night I got chemo and taking them for about 4 days with no break whether I was nausiated or not. I would take Zofran during the day, and the Zofran with a Phenergan at night (phenergan made me very sleepy). I usually would start feeling crummy towards the end of day 2 and on day 3 and then would start feeling better on 4 and 5. I really just slept it off. Usually the day after chemo I was at the pool with my kids and feeling pretty good.

Getting the port in was not a big deal at all- I opted for the "passport", which is located on the upper inside of your arm. It is basically the same procedure though. They did give me something to relax me because I was nervous, but I was very surprised how easy it was. I experienced no pain at all, and I would say that it was in quickly (20-30 minutes), once I was actually in the room. You will be very glad to have the port as it makes things so much easier.

I wish you good luck and I hope that this helped!

Love,
Kelly
KellyA is offline   Reply With Quote