View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006, 09:13 PM   #14
geraldine

Hi Moni,
I had a mastectomy 2001, I was supposed to have had a reconstruction after the op. Crux of this story was, cancer had spread to a lot of the surrounding tissue, so it was too dangerous to proceed. I had to have Physiotheraphy ( I also lost 24 lymph nodes..22 cancerous ). I had a wonderful Breast Care Nurse, whom I could contact at any time. There is also the cancer back up organisations and a wonderful group called the macmillan nurses, who are angels in uniforms. I know that the people I have mentioned are here in Scotland, but surely there must be the equivellent in your country..
I dont suffer mood swings as such.. although certain people might disagree....
My main problem is, I need the reconstruction "Mentally".. I have asked my surgeon on numerous occasions and have been refused. He thought it was too dangerous to go that road. I will go with his judgement, cos I do believe, I'm here because of him, but if he tells me I can NEVER have the op then I would seriously have to consider having the other boob removed. It only serves as a reminder and I do feel I need to be balanced not LOPSIDED !!!! I hope that doesn't sound too selfish ?
Some people say, that I am lucky to be here and that reconstruction is the least of my problems, well I wish it was as straight forward as that..These people, don't know what they're talking about.." There but for the grace of God, Go I " I do thank God I'm here, I do thank God I got to see my grandchildren but I also want to go back to that person, the one who wasn't sick, you know the one I'm talking about.. The skinny healthy one !! Having Cancer has opened my eyes and I do look at life differently but that doesn't mean I will lie down to this terrible disease...NO WAY!!! I have too much damage to do yet Ha Ha

Geraldine
geraldine is offline   Reply With Quote