View Single Post
Old 10-17-2006, 07:46 AM   #6
Lolly

Hi Lisa; The first thing I would do is ask for another Echo or a MUGA, to confirm. Sometimes the test can be skewed, so push for a retest. Also, if your heart was tested quite soon after your last Herceptin infusion, the test could be somewhat lower. I've seen a difference in several percentage points lower if I have the test within a week of Herceptin. If indeed your Ejection Fraction Ratio is too low to continue Herceptin, the others are correct in that it may not take 6 months for your heart to repair. I remember some who posted with this problem who were retested in three months or less and showed improvement. One who saw a cardiologist because she was in a trial with Herceptin and didn't want to stop was able to go on medications to improve her heart function and protect it from further damage, and was able to remain in the trial on Herceptin. So these are some options for you, but you are probably going to have to be a "squeaky wheel".

You didn't say what your Echo score was. I have MUGA's now, which is just a different (and more expensive!) way of measuring the ejection fraction ratio; I used to be in the mid 60's, dropped to mid 50's over the last few years, and my last test showed me at 49%. My onc is not too concerned yet, and this last test was done just a few days after Herceptin, so the next test will be interesting and I'll make sure it's scheduled right BEFORE Herceptin rather than right after. I'll be very surprised if I'm not back in normal range (above 50%).

Hope this helps, and don't despair, all is not lost.

P.S. I've been on Navelbine off and on since 2001. Very tolerable and my hair just thinned although everyone is unique in their reactions so I hope your's are minimal.

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote