View Single Post
Old 10-11-2006, 11:51 AM   #1
sabpri

What could low Red Blood Cell Counts mean?

Not that I want to go looking for trouble, but I want to have the information if it is indicative of something.

I was feeling very sluggish, falling asleep at 8pm (when I normally go to sleep too late, like 11pm+). I also felt a little light headed and dizzy. Fingers and Toes were even a little tingly. Of course I was thinking, where is the cancer now.

When I went in for my Herceptin treatment, they said I looked a little pale and ordered bloodwork. It came back with RBC counts lower than my normal, like at 11 and something I didn't understand (lymphocytes? low). Everything else was normal. It dawned on me that everything I was feeling was exactly how I felt during my chemo treatments, as my Red Blood Cell counts always fell to 10-11 range and I felt sluggish and dizzy. They were always giving me Procrit to help boost them up.

They ran another test, for which I cannot remember the name, that tests Iron levels, which mine again came in low. My Onc said I should start taking Iron supplements. My Tumor Markers came back at 15, so they are not elevated (were elevated to 170 when diagnosed). I just had a recent PET scan and Brain MRI, and both came back clear.

It has been 2 weeks since this time and in my busy life I have not even stopped to pick up the Iron Supplements. This past week, I feel like my energy is back and I don't feel dizzy or have the tingly fingers or toes. I am thinking maybe it just went away. I will probably pick up the supplements anyway.

What I would like to know (after this whole long saga I wrote) - is what would low RBC be indicative of in terms of cancer? I think if the White Cells are high, that can be an indication of cancer? I am not trying to find something that is not there, but I also want to be vigilant for any symptoms if it means liver is acting up or some other organ (liver enzymes were fine). I am 10 months post chemo and 8 months post radiation and have not had this happen before, so I can't imagine it would be left over from treatments.

Thank you all so much for your continued knowledge and support!

Natalie
sabpri is offline   Reply With Quote