View Single Post
Old 10-05-2006, 03:35 PM   #8
Barbara2

Yeast

Before cancer, I had the red, itchy patches on inside of elbows that came after mostly wearing sweatshirts or clothing that made me warm. While on herceptin I got a bright red patch under my arm (about 1 inch in diameter) that didn't usually itch.

I feared skin mets and asked my family doc about it because my onc was gone. He said it didn't look like mets (it wasn't, I guess) and said it was probably a yeast disorder and commented that it was in the creases under my arm, therefore more of a reason it was likely from yeast. (Later, my onc agreed) He gave me a perscription of something to apply twice a day. I wasn't very faithful with putting it on after going several days with no improvement.

My husband had a very effective (expensive) cream-Diprosone- that he has used for years on his hands due to skin problems, so I tried that. It worked almost right away. The bright red color went away.

I've been off herceptin for about 4 months now. It never occured to me that those red circle/patches could be from herceptin. I still believe it was from a yeast of some sort.

After some time, it came back. Along with another bright patch. I have treated both patches with my husbands cream. It has kept it away for a couple of months now.

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote