View Single Post
Old 10-02-2006, 02:57 PM   #1
Dace

Angry New Drug, still waiting for Tykerb

Hello, I am writing I guess because I need encouragement. I am 34. Last year I was diagnosed with Breast cancer, had a lumpectomy, chemo and radiation. I finished all of that in January of this year. In April I found a red spot on the same breast. It turned out to be IBC so in May, I had a Mastecomy. Three weeks after my mast, I found another red spot and it too turned out to be IBC. My first onc told me there was nothing else they could do, so I went to a new onc at The City of Hope, where she started me on Gemzar/Carboplatin. It seemed to be working, as the red spots have gotten better as well as the pain associated with the spots. But when I had my CT scan, I was told that the lymph nodes appear to have gotten bigger, which is discouraging. When I saw my onc at COH she said she didn't see any difference in the size of the lymph nodes but chnaged me to Navelbine until she gets the results back from her radiologist. Ideally, she would like me to start on tykerb, but as yet they do not have it available and probably won't for 6 months. I am not sure what to do, wait the 6 months and try different drugs in the meantime, or find someplace that has the tykerb clinical trial.
Dace
Dace is offline   Reply With Quote