View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 08:30 PM   #1
skibunny

Question Has Anyone With DCIS Had Chemotherapy?

I'm curious about this since I was not given chemotherapy for my DCIS with microinvasion. I had a lumpectomy and radiation and was told I would be fine. Two years later the same DCIS has been found by MRI in the same spot. The pathology report says, "The morphology of the carcinoma is identical to the patient's previously resected left breast cancer." So...

Is this recurrence or did they not get all the cancer the first time? (The pathology report said there were clear margins, but only by 1 mm)

Since radiation didn't kill the cancer, should I have chemotherapy or herception?

I was told, mastectomy is the standard treatment.
From everything I have read, HER2+ cancer returns. So even if I have a mastectomy, this can return.

I am part of a HER2+ vaccine trial for people with DCIS and have to have either a lumpectomy or mastectomy after the trial to remove the DCIS that is currently in my left breast. I am opting for a bilateral mastectomy, but am concerned that I am not on any other therapy out there to prevent the DCIS from returning.

What testing or scans should I ask for?

Everyone seems very laid back since this is DCIS and they say it can't go anywhere.

What is your experience with this?

Thank you for trying to help me sort this out.

Skibunny
skibunny is offline   Reply With Quote