View Single Post
Old 09-22-2006, 02:20 PM   #6
Joannie

beyond treatment

MJo:
I found that my stress level after chemo was completed was horrible. I sank to an all time low. I had a lump in my throat, which I was sure was a tumor. I went to an internist who did the scope procedure, mostly for my piece of mind. She told me up front, it was probably from stress. You know, the old lump in the throat! That was me! Anyway, she put me on a low dose anti-depressant and it helped tremendously. I also sought out a phsycologist, who helped me to learn to live with my new life situation, how to deal with stress, not only bc, but dealing with family and learning now to carry the weight of the world on my shoulders. I do feel that stress may have been a factor of bc. I was experiencing a great amount of stress before I was diagnosed and sometimes I wonder if that compromised my immune system. I try very hard to keep stress at bay. I can tell you, the combo of anti-depressant and seeking out counseling to work through and deal with all that I had been through, was a life saver! The BC diagnosis came so fast and I had so many decisions to make so quickly, I wasn't even sure what hit me. Know that your feelings are quite normal. Just try to concentrate on taking care of yourself!
joannie
Joannie is offline   Reply With Quote