View Single Post
Old 09-05-2006, 06:05 PM   #12
Becky

Although I rarely talk about it, my family and I are avid horse people. We have had and bred horse forever. Although there are horses that are less spooky and more bombproof than others, all horses must be looked on as 1000 lb animals that if frightened, will run right over you.

I can't tell you how many ER visits we have had in 15 yrs (last one was 4th of July where my 15 yr old (who just got out of the hospital with an asthma attack) was thrown and got a concussion). She's fine. Years ago she was "run over" by a spooked horse and got a broken jaw (we are still dealing with problems with the permanent teeth that were still embedded in the jaw at her age at that time). But, she is ranked 40th in the nation in her division. We breed sporthorses (usually warmbloods crossed on throughbred mares but we have one paint mare too and are about to (hopefully) sell one of our appaloosa mares (being vet checked by the potential buyer tomorrow).

You should get cross ties when working with the horse(s) or tie them to a fence or in their stall. If they are not used to being tied, then you have to get them used to it (we do this to the babies to start their "gentling" and to start them getting used to submission).

I am sure you did nothing wrong. Every event is an awakening of what not to do - with horses, that is for sure. I am going to try to attach a 3 yr old picture of Cara (my daughter who gets hurt the most - she and another daughter (Robin) both got broken arms riding) on Camille (Cara's show horse who will hopefully sell tomorrow. Get well, this was the last thing you needed to have happen (at least for us, we're used to it - I think when they see me pull up (its where I get my Herceptin etc) they think "here they are again - I wonder what's broke this time!!!"

But you gotta love it. I do.

Big kiss to you, Becky
Attached Images

Last edited by Becky; 09-05-2006 at 06:22 PM..
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote