View Single Post
Old 09-03-2006, 11:20 AM   #7
Johnnag85

Talking Herceptin and heart problems

I am 39 years old, diagnosed 1 year ago with Her2Positive 3, stage 3. I had a lumpectomy, the largest 1 cm, but also had 4 smaller lumps surrounding it. I had 6 positive lymphnodes out of 14 taken. No cancer in my family at all, 3 early births, breast fed all, one later birth _ I have a 2 yr old son, non-smoker, very healthy not over weight- very active person time.. I went through 4 cycles of AC-12 wks of Taxol every week, and started the Herceptin at that time, also. I had a muga scan before beginning it, my heart strength was at 76%. By 6 months, my heart muscle had gone down to 54%, 7 months, 46%, where I stopped use. I was also treated for 7 weeks of radiation. 3 weeks after stopping Herceptin, a cardiologist took an ultra-sound of my heart and it had gone back up to 52%.

It has been 2 months, and since then I am suffering from back aches, slurred speech, extreme fatigue, blurred vision, dizzy spells and shortness of breath, nerve damage in my hands- they are constantly asleep, and wake me up every morning in pain.

I have just had an ab and chest CT, Brain MRI and Bone scan, the CT showed a dozen noduleus on my lungs, but fortunately my doctors prediction that the cancer had spread to my brain and bones and I only had a few months to live was incorrect, and my tests were negative. Except for the lungs, which were too small to tell if they are cancerous or not. I have to wait for 2 more months to see if they get larger or not.

Anyone have any experience with life after Herceptin as I have? It is quite disappointing not being able to finish out my year on it.

I have flushed my body and become a vegetarian eating only organic foods, a slew of vitamins, and I am going to begin yoga. Trying to get my strength back. I have gained 15 lbs I cant seem to drop since chemo. Plus I have chemo brain big time.

Thats it though...I think.

Life has become more precious, colors more beautiful, songs more meaningful and me less self-conscious about myself and more thankful for my beautiful family, friends and everyday I get to wake up and take another breath.

Thanks for listening. Hang in there everyone.
Johnnag85 is offline   Reply With Quote