View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 10:48 AM   #8
mts

SusanV,

I did not know the ramifications of Her2 until I was well into my radiation treatment. I think I would have opted for mastectomy then if I was as informed as I am now. I also have very dense breasts which make the mammogram quite useless and the ultrasound almost as useless for me. I have to get a breast MR every year along with the mammo and u.s. anyway.

What I am trying to say is that if you do have dense breasts, be sure to consider whether or not you will want to deal with breasts at all. Yes, the surgery is tremendous but do-able. Cosmetic surgery is better if you have never had radiation on the affected breast...

So, you see how personal your decision becomes. I am very happy with my irradiated breast (looks perky). I had a lift on the unaffected breast and now they both look the same. I know my vanity is showing through - but as long as I am willing to get the necessary imaging I am good with my decision. I actually go to UPenn for my imaging... wonderful place and one of the best in terms of their innovative technology. Fortunately I have a good cancer policy that pays my airfare!

I see you are from Pennsylvania, what part?

Maria (MTS)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote