View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 08:13 AM   #5
mts

Know more (or as much) as your onc!

My dx is the same as yours (at 41) -although you did not mention the size of your tumor. Lately I have noticed that some oncs are just providing Herceptin for Stage I women with tumors < 1cm.

I did dose dense AC+T+Herceptin, and currently take Tamoxifen for my minimally 10% positive ER/-PR status.

As you have probably read by now, Herceptin is the wonder drug for HER2+ women. Remember that the molecules in the Herceptin do not penetrate the blood-brain-barrier (BBB) which is why I still think its important to get the chemo (you never know if an errant cancer cell wants to set up shop up there!).

There is also Tykerb that is the next monoclonal antibody similar to Herceptin that does penetrate the BBB but is not available to Stage I women.

I started Herceptin when it became known that it benefited later Stage b.c.'s and thank goodness I got it around the same time I had my taxol. Who knows where Tykerb will be as you go through your treatments.

Chemo will throw you into menopause were as Herceptin will not, but its still a year of Herceptin according to the majority of oncs. There are some that only give it for 3 months!. Solid data to confirm how effective Herceptin is in Stage I cancers is still to be known regarding recurrences.

If the big guns are what you are after- chemo is the way to go along with radiation (if you had a lumpectomy)...

You will find this site to be extremely helpful. There are many wise souls here that have been through it all and their advice is immeasurable.
Please come back and post again on what you decide...

Warmly,
Maria (MTS)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote