View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 07:08 AM   #3
MJo

I was stage 1 with a .55 cm tumor, er/pr pos.,no nodes involved, and Her2++. Diagnosed late October 2005.

I took the Oncotype DX test and am now on my third appeal to my insurance company to pay for it. It's expensive $3400, but I recommend it. Many insurance companies pay.

The oncotype score gave me a 21.5% chance of recurrence within 10 years if I took only radiation and hormone blockers (arimidex). I decided to treat the cancer aggressively -- 4 dose dense adriamycin/cytoxan, 4 dose dense Taxol, One year herceptin, 33 radiation treatments and 4 years of arimidex.

I go to a cancer center for treatment. My oncologist is considered "aggressive."

The timing of my diagnosis was interesting -- I witnessed a sea change in attitude toward Her2 cancers. After the lumpectomy, the surgeon told me he doubted I'd need chemo. I was set up with an appointment with a radiation oncologist who wanted to start radiation immediately. The chemo oncologist intervened. Three months later I went for a follow-up with my surgeon and he said he was glad I was taking chemo. In the future, perhaps new advances in testing will spare some of us Her2s such aggressive treatment, but I saw the pendulum swing from surgery, radiation and hormone pills only for Stage 1 Her2+ to full treatment.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote