View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 06:38 PM   #20
jhandley

Smile Support

Hi
I have had a lot of support from my parents (age 76) who live 4 hours drive away...and some support from my sister who lives in the same street but not a lot and not the type of support I need. She is not very sympathetic and thinks since I look well I am well. I have 2 brothers who never call me which I found very disappointing and a sister who lives in london who is quite good. There is a good church community here who offer support and I have a cousin and Aunt/Uncle who visit occasionally. Friends mostly dont live here (I moved here after my dx) but 2 close ones are a great support. I am in the Army Reserve and they have been good about allowing me to continue to work. Teaching colleagues have generally been great with two exceptions who have been horrid.
I go to a BC support group once a month for morning tea which is good and I find this website great.
The other support I get is from the nurses and doctors at St Vincents Hospital in Melbourne. I travel 3.5 hours drive because they are so good..I tried having herceptin at the local hospital but due to my dificult veins and the isolation I changed back to Melbourne.
Two local doctors one of whom is a friend are good support and will listen to all my research and provide a sounding board and I get great support from a doctor friend in Melbourne whose advice I take regarding my treatment.

And of course my daughter aged 9 is the most support of all and is my motivation to go that extra mile...

So really I have quite a lot.

Thanks for asking.
Jackie
jhandley is offline   Reply With Quote