View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 12:26 PM   #18
sarah

Dear Chelee,
great question. I think from reading the posts you have several sisters out there who are in particular need of the same thing as you and who feel under supported so prehaps you can help each other through this trial, one in southern california - so i'm sure you could chat together.
We have all been surprised as to who's been there for us and who hasn't. my brother who loves me very much just went silent until I paraphrased mark twain and said "the rumors of my death have been exaggerated!" and that indeed I was still very much alive!!! that got a quick phone call!!! My husband who always hated visiting sick friends in hospital has been terrific, changing drains and doing all kinds of stuff as well as being a great support group although prehaps a little blind to the bad possibilities of cancer! I feel I do have a good support system, my best is probably a fellow traveler, not HER2+ but she is very knowlegeable and intelligent and has become a great friend. I think the cancer support groups are great particularly for anyone with no really solid support because you definitely need people to talk to who have traveled or are traveling your road and that is why this site is so wonderful. In a support group you might just make a terrific, life long friend.
Dear Rendi and Kimberly, chelee and others,
I really feel finding a support group is vital to your well-being. This site is great but you also need people you can email directly or telephone. I am not the most knowlegeable person by far about cancer on this site but you are certainly welcome to PM me. Of course I'm in europe so not on the same time frame and some days don't check my email but I hate to think that there is anyone out there feeling "abandoned" or "alone" I think as women we have an advantage - women tend to have a circle of girl friends who are our support beyond our families which sometimes can't cope with our illness and our possible death.
I think Carina had also great advice in suggesting joining a group outside of cancer and getting involved in that - painting, bridge or whatever. I belong to an unofficial dog walking group! and books have saved my mental health!!! and chocolate!!
I wish you all luck and hope you all find a good strong positive support group. I know I couldn't make it without mine which includes this group.
big hug, you are far from alone,
sarah
PS I hope my suggestions of where to find some support groups works out for you.

Last edited by sarah; 08-24-2006 at 12:35 PM..
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote