View Single Post
Old 08-20-2006, 08:45 AM   #5
Becky

This is very similar to Dr. Stephan Pratt's book - SuperFoods, an RX for Health. I bought this book as well as Daniel Quinlan's "Beat your Cancer with Nutrition" and a book called the Breast Cancer Prevention Diet (by a Dr. who is on the "Today Show").

Pratt's book is the most straightforward. There are 14 superfoods and each superfood has "sidekicks". For example, Salmon is a superfood (for the omega 3s) but its sidekicks are sardines, tuna, halibut (all cold water fishes).

The 14 categories with some "sickkicks" are (salmon - as above)

2. Oats - sickkicks are barley and other whole grains
3. Pumpkin - carrots, sweet potatoes, orange peppers
4. Oranges - other citrus
5. Blueberries - other berries to include strawberries and blackberries
6. tomatoes - red peppers (they also have lucopene like tomatoes), watermelon, papaya, guava
7. Skinless turkey breast - high protein, low fat - sidekick is skinless chicken breast.
8. Yogurt - sidekick is kefir
9. Walnuts - sidekick is other nuts
10. Beans (all dried types) - sidekicks are green beans, sugar snap peas and green peas.
11. Broccoli - others are brussels sprouts, cabbage, kale, turnips, cauliflower, collards, bok choy, Swiss chard, mustard greens - some of these greens are included because they also contain sulfur compounds like broccoli hence the strong taste.
12. Spinach - same greens as above but add romaine and orange bell peppers
13. Tea - all teas but especially white and green
14. Soy - remember this book is a generalist book and women with hormone positive bc should limit their servings of soy until there is more info on it. A couple of servings a week is fine. If you have hormone negative disease, you do not have this limitation.

Thanks for the article. The first chat in Sept is on nutrition (and supplements) so it is good to start to rehash this subject (one of my favorites). To me, this is the one thing we can do for ourselves to assist on the road to recovery and good health.

Kind regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote