View Single Post
Old 08-16-2006, 06:01 PM   #13
heblaj01

Clodronate has been used for over 20 years in Europe & was approved in Canada at least 5 years ago.
It is a less powerfull drug than more recent bisphosphonates such as Pamidronate,Zometa or Ibandronate for maintaining or increasing bone density in patients treated with anticancer drugs which weaken bones such as anti estrogens.
Based on personal experience with a relative treated with Femara for recurrent ER+ primary breast cancer after lumpectomy, the 6 monthly Clodronate I.V.'s (given after 2 years of Femara stopped due to bone damage) resulted in these observations:

1. Bone resorption as monitored by urine N-Telopeptide testing indicated stable condition (meaning probably: no more bone loss but no gain in bone density).
2. Monthly CEA blood marker tests started to show decreases after 3 I.V.'s.
in the absence of any anticancer treatment.

Compared to Zometa given subsequently to the same relative, there was a reduction in N-telopeptide after the first infusion indicating a probable bone density gain confirmed several months later by bone density test & CT scan showing healing of microfractures. Four monthly Zometa I.V's dropped the CEA to the same lowest level previously achieved by 6 months of Femara.
During the 18 months on Zometa alone there was no cancer progression.
Zometa was stopped (against my will) due to new regulations limiting its applcation to hypercalcemia or metastatic bone lesions.

Clodronate has been the subject of many studies in Europe in particular in Finland where some showed a long term risk reduction of remote visceral metastases.
heblaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote