HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   UTIs as a Taxane side effect? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64339)

Mtngrl 12-29-2015 08:18 PM

UTIs as a Taxane side effect?

After having had maybe one urinary tract infection my entire life, I had one in August, after chemo, and again in October, after chemo. In November and December I could tell by my symptoms that things were heading that way again. So, I guess because of the immune suppression and possibly something else, I'm prepared to call UTIs a chemo side effect.

To head them off, I take "D-Mannose" and probiotics every day prophylactically. And, as I told the NP, if I had a bidet I'd use it (but I don't have one.) My skin is very dry, I live in Colorado, and I'm 61 years old. If I showered every day my skin would just flake right off. But every day I take a "sitz bath" in warm water and clean my perineum and anal area with mild soap, then rinse and pat dry. I slather lotion on any other part of me that got wet. I clean the tub pretty obsessively too, but with fragrance-free dish liquid, not harsh chemicals.

When, despite that, I feel that intensity when I urinate, I take an extra dose of D-Mannose, plus Alpha-Lipoic Acid and L-Glutamine, and extra drinking water, all on an empty stomach. The Mannose is a sugar that doesn't get completely metabolized. On its way out the urethra, it washes out bacteria. (It's the "active ingredient" in cranberry juice). I abstain from sugar (including dairy) for awhile, at least 12 hours. If I feel like I might need an additional boost, I make some raw, unsweetened cranberry juice in my juicer and drink it.

So far so good. Maybe these ideas will help you too. Or maybe you have additional suggestions?

MaineRottweilers 12-30-2015 05:31 AM

Re: UTIs as a Taxane side effect?

No additional suggestions, just an observation. I too get UTI symptoms after nearly every Taxotere, however, nothing ever grows out when cultured. What I get is cystitis and symptoms can be alleviated with phenazopyridine rather than antibiotics. It works very quickly but it changes the color of your urine and can cause staining.

Mtngrl 12-30-2015 10:44 AM

I had that drug with UTI #2. I'm so glad I was warned about the bright orange color and staining! It does soothe the irritation very well.

And who the heck thought of giving someone orange dye to help with cystitis?

Carol Ann 12-31-2015 08:42 AM

I got a UTI after my next to last TCH chemo ... I recognized it instantly because I have had them intermittently (years in between each one) throughout my adult life. Cipro took care of it plus I took the OTC Azo too, 1 T is like tons of cranberry juice.

Hope you are feeling better!!

Carol Ann

Mtngrl 01-07-2016 10:34 AM

"Azo" is phenazopyridine, the medication Tracy mentioned. It's good to know it's available over the counter. It treats the symptoms, but it does not treat the infection, if there is one. As Tracy said, sometimes there's just painful urination not caused by bacteria. I had it prescribed in addition to an antibiotic, because it acts quickly to relieve symptoms--faster than waiting for the bugs to get killed off.

Mannose is a form of sugar (the "ose" ending is a tipoff.) It is in cranberries, but is available in a more concentrated form in various OTC concoctions. Mine is by Solar-ray, and it has cranberry extract in it, perhaps to make buyers think it's more "natural."

Don't get me started on "natural" vs "chemical" medicines. People who are afraid of "chemicals" or who think "natural" is always better do not make arguments that I find convincing. Many "natural" things are poisonous, in a high enough dose (or sometimes even in small doses.) Radon is "natural."

Anyway, I finally decided Abraxane is making me more miserable than I am willing to be. If they could promise me permanent remission and a normal lifespan if I stay on it, of course I'd agree to do it, but nobody can make that promise about any treatment. Abraxane is a good drug, though, and I've had good results, both in 2011 and since last July. I was going to get one more dose tomorrow, then a scan the last Wednesday of January, and a consultation on the 29th about what to do next. I'm hoping to go on H&P as a maintenance treatment beginning next month. I'll get just H&P tomorrow and find out in 3 more weeks what's going on inside.

Carol Ann 01-07-2016 11:02 AM

Hi Amy, you are so right about the Azo and I should have mentioned it only treated the symptoms. :) My bad!!

I agree with you about "natural" remedies!

Hoping H&P can keep you on a maintenance plan a good long while!

Carol Ann

MaineRottweilers 01-08-2016 08:09 AM

Amy, sorry the Abraxane is intolerable. At least you know it will work and can fall back on it. I too decided that Taxotere was just too much to bear any longer so I took a hiatus and just got H&P over Christmas. I took my first Taxol with H&P yesterday. I am hoping the SEs will be much less profound and still be equally useful in keeping the cancer quiet. So far, no cystitis which usually comes on very quickly after chemo. I am trying to tank up on fluids but I am a natural camel and drink very little. Why must drinking be such an effort?
Hope you have a great break on H&P and that it works for eons for you.

agness 01-08-2016 10:13 AM

I got urethritis at the start of chemo, thankfully it was overcome without issue but I was working with a naturopathic oncologist.

Chemo is 1000-times worse on the body than antibiotics, destroying the microbiota and the microenvironment. Probiotics should be mandatory.