HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   9 YEARS ago today... (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61290)

suzan w 06-14-2014 07:02 AM

9 YEARS ago today...

I was at Swedish Cancer Hospital undergoing a bilateral mastectomy and sentinel node biopsy. My prognosis was fair, even though I had an early stage cancer...it was Her2 +++. In "those days" early stage bc was not eligible for Herceptin. I had an oncologist who had been involved in Herceptin trials and knew that if it was working in advanced stages of bc then it would definitely be advantageous for early stage breast cancers.
She was oh so right!!! In these last nine years I have traveled around the country, mostly living in an RV enjoying the sights and meeting a wide variety of incredible people. I have been blessed with 2 amazing grandchildren. The list of experiences range from cross country skiing in Yosemite, snowshoeing the Olympic Mountains, riding a snowbike from the top of Angel Fire in northern NM, torch light parade in Taos NM, hiking in Death Valley, Mt, Rainier's amazing wildflower bloom,rafting the RogueRiver in Oregon, flyfishing, stand up paddle boarding, swamp buggy into the Everglades, birding trip to the Dry Tortugas, kayaking Kachemak Bay, AK...
I could go on and on and that is exactly what I intend to do!
None of this would have been possible without Herceptin!
I want to thank my incredible partner, Bette for her care and companionship. My medical team!! The amazing support of this Her2 Forum!!
This is a wonderful day!!!

StephN 06-14-2014 12:35 PM

Re: 9 YEARS ago today...

Fabulous post, Suzan!
Sounds like you have been living more in the outdoors than inside all these years! Some of us are fortunate to be able to pare down our "baggage" and free ourselves somewhat. Money is not only to be spent on things, but on enriching experiences.

Thanks for being one of us here.

Andrea Barnett Budin 06-14-2014 01:48 PM

Dear Suzan, thank you for sharing! Your life has surely blossomed since your dx. No doubt you inner journey in the outdoors has also helped you soar in miraculous ways.

Turning something potentially horrid to a great adventure. May your life continue to be blessed!

(My sister's name is Bette.) Somehow makes me feel even closer to you. Odd how that works.

ANDI

sassy 06-14-2014 09:03 PM

Big congrats Suzan! Keep on living the life!

Pamelamary 06-14-2014 09:14 PM

Congratulations Suzan - sounds like you have made good use of the 9 years! May there be many more to come.
Best wishes.... Pam

caya 06-14-2014 09:37 PM

Congrats to you on #9 Suzan, looking forward to many more!

all the best
caya

tricia keegan 06-15-2014 02:07 PM

Great news Suzan, so pleased for you!!!