HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Look good, feel better class (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60487)

crb 03-10-2014 08:50 AM

Look good, feel better class

Has anyone been to one of these classes that the American Cancer Society puts on? I am going to a 2 hour class today and don't know what to expect.

Hopefully I don't have to take off the wig...not ready for that yet :(

Becky 03-10-2014 09:23 AM

Re: Look good, feel better class

I took it way back when. It provides cosmetics and shows you how to apply them - applying fake lashes (if you want to go that route) and filling in eyebrows etc. They also will help you find the right wig for you if you don't have one and show you how to tie scarves around your head in a fashionable knot - that kind of thing. Every class might be a little different because there are different people running them but no, they won't make you take your wig off.

KDR 03-10-2014 10:15 AM

You will leave with a bag full of top-of-the-line cosmetics and will be feeling really great about yourself and how you can look your absolute best during your challenges!

Enjoy!

I am hoping to be chosen to be a volunteer for this program, it's that great!
Application pending...

Karen

Jackie07 03-10-2014 12:37 PM

I went to one many years ago ...

crb 03-10-2014 04:03 PM

Class was good. Only 4 of us. Got a bag full of really nice cosmetics -can't wait to try some of them :) And the "t-shirt" head wrap looks like something I may need to try for around the house...time to cut up hubby's old t-shirts...LOL

BonnieR 03-10-2014 06:28 PM

Glad it was a good experience for you!
I don't usually wear makeup and have gray hair. I came home with a red wig looking like a hussy!! It was very amusing!
I donated the wig back, as well as a few I bought myself
Keep the faith

Saygoon 03-12-2014 09:56 PM

Glad you enjoyed it. I went about two years ago had a great time. Went bald came back as a blonde ( my real hair is very black) LOL!!!

Aussie Girl 03-13-2014 12:44 AM

Hi,

We have these classes in Australia too and I loved mine and I went after surgery and before chemo. I couldn't believe that there were women there in the middle of their chemo. It was a big encouragement for me.

I don't wear any make up usually so I actually learnt a lot about putting make up on. I've glad my eyebrows and lashes didn't entirely disappear during chemo because I was hopeless at drawing them on or putting eyeliner on. (I am very very short sighted!)

I bought a wig and virtually never wore it. Too hot and itchy. Waste of money. I'm donating it to the Cancer Council Wig library along with most of my Buff headgear (which is what I wore because I can't tie scarves either.) Come to think of it, I can't style hair with a blow dryer either, so it is just as well I look ok with my new ultrashort hairstyle. It's grown a bit since my avatar photo.

Aussie Girl

Cat 03-13-2014 09:23 AM

I went years ago too. The people scheduled to teach the class cancelled and they pulled some people from a salon to teach it. They went through makeup application but not geared to chemo patients. I really wanted technique for eyebrows etc. and they would get to something and say "and now apply the eyebrow pencil ". I didn't learn a whole lot but met some very fun and nice ladies. One who had gotten a wild wig and I was impressed. We laughed and left with some very nice cosmetics but no wigs. No scarf tying. Not a whole lot of makeup lessons. BUT we had fun. I went home and self taught a lot of things and cringe at the makeup I did in the early years! Bozo????

KDR 03-13-2014 02:49 PM

For anyone who is still struggling with the loss of eyebrows, know there are great products on the market that can redefine your face and blend in with your complexion, looking natural all the while. My first occupation in my Artist Life was cosmetologist (still New York State licensed) as I wanted to go into theatrical makeup. For those who can't attend a workshop and would like brows, I would recommend youtube videos, specifically the work of Julia Graf. Good luck.

Karen

Cat 03-13-2014 06:15 PM

I am jealous that you know what you're doing. I've had to learn as I went. I may have not had bad hair days but bad brow days, those happen! I found a good product and technique is good but there are those days that it just doesn't cooperate. Wouldn't be so bad but there are 2 and they really should match!!! It reminds me of my Mom cutting my bangs when I was little. She had trouble getting them even and they ended up near my hairline. Always the day before school pictures! Dorky pictures even dorkier!
Hugs, Cathy

crb 03-13-2014 06:51 PM

So happy that the brows are still intact! Didn't want to have to worry about drawing them in and looking permanently surprised ;)

I am having a weird wig issue...under the back of the wig (hair by my neck) is getting a bit tangled and when I brush it or try to run my fingers through it, it is starting to look strangly and frizzy. I washed it last night (only after wearing it a few times) and used the wig conditioner, but it didn't help. Considered cutting it shorter, but afraid that if it keeps happening, eventually it will be too short. Any thoughts on what to do?

Cat 03-13-2014 07:04 PM

I frizzed the bangs on my first wig from the heat of the BBQ. So be careful. I had to have stylist trim out the worst hairs. Other than that I saw a video online about using very hot water followed by conditioner. I don't know if it works or is good for the wig but maybe a little research or a stylist will help you. If it's under good hair maybe leaving it is best?
Good luck. Cathy

KDR 03-14-2014 11:11 AM

Cat,
You can buy brow shaping kits that produce symmetrical brows. I'd go to Benefit or MAC at your department store. These artists really LOVE helping patients out.

Only synthetic wigs will frizz or burn under steam or fire. Be careful about this, especially when opening an oven or working on the open stove.

Wigs made for observant Jewish women are THE best. They are not protheses, but rather an open weave with human hair. Your scalp will breathe and hot flashes will feel less severe.

Best
Karen