HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Neuropathy? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58800)

MaineRottweilers 08-08-2013 04:24 PM

Neuropathy?

I'm two weeks past my third TCH tx and I have some numbness in three of the toes of my right foot. Nothing really serious, kind of like wearing tight shoes all day and taking them off. It feels like I should be able to rub it out but no amount of rubbing or massage makes the numbness go away. It's really not uncomfortable, more alarming because I don't know what to expect or why it's happened. Is this the neuropathy SE that I was told could happen? Is it progressive or this what I can expect. Should I bother to call my MO? I'll see her in one week, my next infusion is in 8 days. I love this board. It's so much easier to ask experienced warriors here than to call my MO for every little twinge.

Becky 08-08-2013 05:27 PM

Re: Neuropathy?

Well the T part of the chemo, taxotere, is the culprit here. It happened to me too and it does go away but over time. It could take several months to a year after the chemo part is over for it to go away. I don't know anybody who got stuck with it but there's probably somebody but that's rare. The nerves are affected by the taxane drugs (taxotere, taxol and abraxane) and if they are really affected, they have to regenerate which takes time - even up to 18 months. Don't worry about this but do mention it to your MO just so they know.

BonnieR 08-08-2013 07:15 PM

I developed neuropathy in my feet/toes. My onc stopped my TC at that point(after 4 doses) and just went with the Herception from then on. She was concerned I might have lasting effects. And now, a few years later, I still have some symptoms/ numbness if I get tired or have been on my feet a lot It was also recommended by my onc that I take Glucosamine (an amino acid supplement that is dissolved into a drink) while on chemo
Best to discuss this with your oncologist
Keep the faith

JillaryJill 08-08-2013 08:09 PM

I had numbness in my toes for over a year post chemo. My husband rubbed my feet every night...and I swear that helped me. Plus it was quite a treat!

starwishn2 08-08-2013 09:31 PM

I've had the neuropathy since around the end of October (2012) - my 4th TCH treatment. It kept getting worse and on my sixth treatment my onc cut the taxotere in half. I'm one treatment short of my last Herceptin and still have issues with the neuropathy. Some days are worse then others. I was told that it's possible it will never go away... one of those "fun" SEs. Complex Vitamin B seems to help. I notice a difference if I don't take it. I hope this doesn't get worse for you... it's miserable at times. Best of luck~
Jeri