HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Does anyone know about skipping hercept? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58322)

linn65 06-10-2013 06:08 PM

Does anyone know about skipping hercept?

My dad had a heart attack and will be having open heart surgery Friday. He takes plavix so if they can keep him stable and he can not have any episodes while in hospital then Friday is triple bypass surgery day.

Anyway, I have herceptin Wednesday and I have side effects from it, and I will be with him Friday thru the weekend. Then my next herceptin is already scheduled for July3rd. I know I have missed 1 other time because I was sick and I think nurse said we just add one on at the end.

Does anyone think missing June12th and just going to my July 3rd herceptin is a big deal. I will call the doctor tomorrow, but I am just curious what others have done.

Becky 06-10-2013 06:43 PM

Re: Does anyone know about skipping hercept?

Go as early as you can to take the skipped dose and redo your schedule.

Ellie F 06-11-2013 02:58 AM

Hi
My understanding is that if you skip a dose by more than 4 weeks you need another loading dose to ensure its effectiveness. Could your Doctor give you anything to deal with the side effects?
Ellie

linn65 06-11-2013 07:58 AM

What do you mean by a loading dose to ensure it's effectiveness?? I called today and she rescheduled for Tuesday, June 18th instead of Wednesday the 12th.

roz123 06-11-2013 11:30 AM

4 days wont make a difference Ellie is right, if it is longer (forgot how long) they will have to give you a loading dose, its the same amt that you got when you first started, which is different then the subsequent amts

linn65 06-11-2013 11:40 AM

My first 6 were with TCH which finished November 27th which the Herceptin was less then because of the chemo drugs. Herceptin Alone started in December, and I assumed it was the 400 mg since I started doing it alone. Geez, I had no idea about the dosage and missing a cycle. I see my ONC next on July 9th, so I will have to write these questions down. The only thing the nurse told me was they based how much they were giving me by my weight.

Ellie F 06-11-2013 01:27 PM

Hi
You're quite right the dose you receive is based on your weight, you have exactly the same amount as I do!! A loading dose like Roz said is a higher dose but again based on your weight. I believe that you can go up to 7 days over the three weeks but after this you need a further loading dose.
Hope this helps
Ellie

Deb33 06-21-2013 02:49 PM

I had a few different conflicts that required rescheduling - weddings, etc. Sometimes I received a 2 week dose and sometimes I received a 3 week dose. My onc didn't seem to think it was a big deal.