HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Applying for SS Disability Bens...after ~11 years (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57972)

jml 05-01-2013 12:14 PM

Applying for SS Disability Bens...after ~11 years

Hi my friends~
Have been reading your posts about applying for SSDI benefits, including all the reasons we may have delayed applying - ignorance, fear of the process, not wanting to be categorized as "disabled", not knowing I could still work - and I feel so encouraged.
I have been relying more and more on my family for their financial support as the income I'm able to earn dwindles over the years. I had no idea. I'll be so thankful to take the burden off of my family, even just a little bit.
I've contacted a social worker at my cancer center and even started the online application and while I'm intimidated by the amount of concentration it's going to take to collect all my papers (primarily tax stuff), I'm encouraged and motivated by your experiences.
If anyone has additional thoughts or hints to help me through the process, I'd so appreciate it.
The website says it can take up to 5 mos for approval, though I know many of you have been approved in much less time, my job is to SURVIVE until the process is complete and I'm approved!
Some days I just don't know if I'll even make it, but others, I KNOW I will.

Keeping the Faith~

Jessica

KsGal 05-01-2013 12:41 PM

Re: Applying for SS Disability Bens...after ~11 years

My only advice is to get it completed as soon as you can. I just did this myself back in October. If you are stage IV you will get approved immediately, but there is a five month waiting period before you get your first check, even after you are approved. I was told, and later read, it is because they want to make sure you are actually disabled long term. Seems ridiculous but its true. So get it done as quickly as you can so you can receive benefits as soon as possible.

StephN 05-01-2013 03:16 PM

Dear Jessica -

I say if you have been less able to work then it is overdue! When I said I had brain mets, they put me to the head of the que. I had a direct deposit in my checking account in less than 4 weeks. That was in 2007, so I had not done this as early as I could have.

Hopefully the stage IV with brain mets will move you up past the "bad backs" and that you will get immediate approval without too much delay.

I am sure that no one in that Employment Security office expected me to still be alive and fortunately they were very considerate.

jml 05-01-2013 05:19 PM

Thanks KsGal & Steph~
So much of your posts have been so helpful.
It's so hard to quantify "how long" I've been disabled, since
as we know with this disease, there are times that we can feel
virtually "normal", and work at almost 100%, and when I do, I want to work as much as possible. Unfortunately, those days are diminishing.
And I'm interested to know if the SSDI is retroactive to diagnosis date or as the application states, when I "became disabled."
And how do they determine when I became disabled if I don't even know?
I guess all will be revealed soon enough. I'm just happy that this is available to us.
I'm even in the process of applying to "Cleaning for a Reason" - a series of cleaning service through the ACS that offer monthly house cleaning for 3 months while you're on chemo. Can you imagine if I started from the very beginning - I would have had a spotless house for a decade!

Keeping the Faith~

Jessica

Lauriesh 05-01-2013 05:57 PM

They will only pay one year of back pay, from when you applied. So if they determine your date of disability was 2 years ago, you can get one year of back pay, and you will not have to wait 5 months, they will start the 5 month wait period from the date of disability.

Laurie

Ceesun 05-03-2013 08:53 PM

Jessica, Go for it! That is my suggestion...I had the same thoughts and questions as you do, but I applied in March of 2012... in 17 days a check was deposited into my account 10 days before I received the award/benefits letter. I received one year retro pay since I could have applied earlier. They put my start date as the day I indicated, which was when I retired from teaching. I did not realize I could qualify since I had a retirement. Just be as specific as you can with date, treatments, etc. Sheila answered some of the questions I had at the time. Best Wishes, Ceesun

Pray 05-04-2013 08:13 PM

I'm praying ever so hard that you get it and get it NOW! Gods blessings to you! Your friend, Nancy

Adriana Mangus 05-05-2013 05:40 PM

HI Jessica,

Don't feel bad- - that's what the social security office is for. I totally understand you, but you already have plenty on your plate, so chin up!

It shouldn't take too long for you to get approved, once you are stage four, the application gets processed immediately. It's important to have your doctor on your side and have him signed and answered all the questions correctly to avoid any delays. My only advice is for you to go in person to a local SS agency in your town, if available.

Please keep us posted.

Love,

Adriana

ElaineM 05-06-2013 02:53 PM

Go for it. I think after you have been on social security for 2 years you will also be eligible for medicare.
Take good care of yourself.

CoolBreeze 05-06-2013 04:22 PM

I applied immediately when I was Stage IV. There is a way to hasten the process but I apparently didn't do it because it took 6 months. But it's okay as I was doing okay. It's nice to have that little bit. I left something out and they called and helped me so they were amazing for a government office.

I don't remember any tax information I had to give them, maybe it's different by state? Anyway, good luck to you and trust me, if I can do it, you can. I am very disorganized when it comes to this stuff. :)

One thing that is required now is direct deposit. So make sure you have that available, they won't send you a check.

MikeF 05-07-2013 01:58 PM

We looked into this for Barb and were told they go back 10 years and she would have had to work 5 of those years which she hadnt. The other option was based on my income and assets which Im told are too much, funny I dont feel like I make too much or have too much for that matter. But hey we still have Her and thats all that matters to me.

CoolBreeze 05-07-2013 08:51 PM

Maybe I'm not thinking of the same thing, because income and assets were not part of it. My husband makes a decent amount, is still working, and we have a house, cars, etc and I still qualified.

I paid into the system for all those years, I should be able to take out with a terminal illness! But maybe I'm confusing SSDI and SSI or some other acronym. :) It's very confusing for sure.

I do think that the time you worked might be part of what I was thinking of though. I think you have to have had a job recently, which would be disappointing for you. I hope not.

Cannon 05-08-2013 07:22 PM

I have a question for my dear aunt, who was just dx stage 4 (stage 1 in 2007, lump+radiation, ER+, NOT HER2). If you are old enough that you are already receiving SS, which she is, can you also get SSDI? or is it one or the other? Thanks if anyone knows the answer.

CoolBreeze 05-08-2013 07:55 PM

I got curious and googled. Found this:

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/page5-43.html

Looks like if she makes under 771.00 she can get concurrent benefits. Might call to check rather than rely on a website though.

Cannon 05-09-2013 04:04 AM

Thanks CoolBreeze - won't work for my aunt because she hasn't worked 5 of the last 10 years (for SSDI) and doesn't meet low assets requirement (for SSI) - but I really appreciate the link to the info.

jml 05-09-2013 07:34 PM

I just completed my SSDI application and sent/emailed it in 2 days ago. They confirmed receipt and said to check back online in 5 days for status update.
I don't recall anything about requiring work within the past 5 years in order to be eligible for SSDI.
They did request my most recent w2's/1099's and the any documentation that states/confirms my disease status. I could have used my most recent scan report, but my onc pulled a quick hx statement for me. It was pretty scary to read...I can hardly believe it's me! Now crossing fingers for approval.

The website is very straightforward and there's something in the FAQ's that addresses SSDI vs SI. I don't recall exactly what it said but check the site @www.socialsecurity.com/disability.

Good luck!

Jml