HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Extreming Interesting...a must read... (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57487)

Jean 03-02-2013 05:50 PM

Extreming Interesting...a must read...

EXTREMELY INTERESTING..

Many of my sisters who know me remember how hard I had to fight to get herceptin back in the day...at that time there was much to do about early treatment and was that treatment to much for a small tumor node negative.
As many of you know I am a firm believer in doing all I could to prevent recurrence. Well this article truly hit home for me.

"The researchers had previously shown HER2 plays an important role in cancer stem cells - the small number of cells in a tumor that fuel its growth and spread. These cells represent 1 percent to 5 percent of all the cells in a tumor. They are resistant to current chemotherapy and radiation treatments - but since they express HER2, they are effectively targeted by Herceptin.

This is exactly what Dr. Salmon was stating to me back in 2005 before Herceptin was cleared and approved by the FDA. That a tiny tumor was to be taken as seriously as any tumor. Of course having a dx. early is always good but that doesn't mean it should be treated less seriously.

Also:
"We have shown that the bone microenvironment induces HER2 expression in these tumors. If Herceptin can target bone micrometastases, then administering it to patients before metastases develop could help reduce tumor recurrence," says study author Hasan Korkaya, Ph.D., research assistant professor of internal medicine at the U-M Medical School.

I am hoping that we will see data coming (in a few years) of those women who were treated early with Her2 and that it will show less recurrence stats.

Great Study link is below.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/256927.php

Jackie07 03-03-2013 08:59 AM

Re: Extreming Interesting...a must read...

Thanks, Jean.

That stem cell issue is indeed important ...

Lani 03-03-2013 10:57 AM

I posted this in a thread called Go, Max Wicha!...

along with my comments on why information that can be gleaned by biopsying/aspirating the bone marrow TRULY needs to be sought after and no longer ignored

This article holds food for thought both for those whose breast tumor is her2+ and those whose breast tumor is her2-. The holy grail may lie in the bone marrow --which may be able to determine who is likely to recur and who not and who needs treatment/who not, and whether the treatment one has already had has "cured" one or whether additional treatment is needed and to prove it
was efficacious.

suzan w 03-09-2013 08:03 PM

Jean, wonder how many of us there are who were treated for early stage bc before it was FDA approved in 2005?

jaykay 03-10-2013 05:02 AM

Not me and here I am again. Wonder if there is a study that re: those not treated vs those treated and recurrence stats. It would have to be pretty much historical in nature.

Janis

Patb 03-10-2013 01:41 PM

Question? Jean are you still on Femara, this is my
seventh year and Dr. says now ten. Just wonder
how anyone is doing after that long of treatment
with AI. I had five of arimidex and now 2 of Femara.
patb

tricia keegan 03-10-2013 02:56 PM

Pat I'm going into my seventh year of Arimidex and may continue until ten years too, I've found the side effects to worsen of late but maybe I'm just getting old and its a coincidence!

Jean I also am looking forward to reading some data in a few years on women who were treated for early stage, Herceptin had just been approved for early stage here in Ireland a week before my dx!

Jean 03-13-2013 11:07 PM

Hello Sisters,
Sorry I could not answer sooner, having computer problems.

Pat - Yes I am still on Femara and dr. is now saying 10 yrs. Have been on Femara 7.5 yrs. I have not been having problems with side effects.

Suzan that is an interesting question. I believe there are a few members.

Tricia the Gods were certainly smiling down on you!

Kind Regards,
Jean :)

jaykay 03-14-2013 06:07 AM

Jean, are you taking anything for bone health? Like reclast or fosamax?

Janis

Jean 03-15-2013 10:25 AM

Hi JayKay,
Yes, I do have the yearly injection Zometa also known as Reclast.
Bones are holding up perfectly!!!!

Jean :)