HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Plans have changed (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57389)

Redwolf8812 02-18-2013 10:49 AM

Plans have changed

I was scheduled for an ablation on the 28th. I haven't had chemo sine the end of November. The oncologist just called and said instead we're going to start taxotere and herceptin this Wednesday. We're STILL waiting for the insurance company to respond to a request for pertuzumab. They haven't even denied it yet so no appeal can be done. Right now there are a cluster of about 8 lesions that may or may not be cancer in the liver, plus one that probably is. I've enjoyed the chemo holiday but was anxious to get back on something. Now I feel down for some reason. I'm also frustrated about the pertuzumab issue. Our income is too high for the free access from Genentech, so maybe we can try for their co-pay card. Sigh.

Penny
http://www.carepages.com/carepages/PennyKnowles
July 2010 IDC grade 3 stage 3 er-/pr-/her2+++, BRCA2
Skin mets 11/10
1/12/11 Surgery path - complete response
Rads 2/11-4/11
Liver mets 11/11 now stage IV
Xeloda & Tykerb 12/11
Allergic reaction to Tykerb 12/11
Xeloda only 12/11
Added herceptin January 2012
Progression February 2012.
Started Veliparib (parp inhibitor) trial 3/5/12.
4/30/12 Liver met shrunk in half! Praise Jesus!
6/18/12 another 25% shrinkage, down to @3x3. Thank you, God!
8/8/12 Brain MRI - clear! Praise to You, Lord Jesus Christ!
8/27/12 Thank You, God - another 20% decrease in liver met! Now @ 3.2x1.9.
10/5/12 stable-ish
11/21/12 allergic reaction to carboplatin
12/10/12 stable & progression
12/31/12 liver ablation
2/6/13 ablation successful but new tiny mets in liver.
Another ablation scheduled 2/28/13. Cancelled.

NEDenise 02-18-2013 11:12 AM

Re: Plans have changed

Penny,
Try to keep your chin up...you know God has a plan for you.
Trust him...
easier said, than done...
I know...
believe me.

But try to let go of the worry...feel the peace instead, if you can.
I'm praying for you, my friend. Stay strong!
Denise

chrisy 02-18-2013 02:29 PM

That's sort of what happened to me - never got anything from the insurance company at all in fact! The people who get auths at the clinic assured me it was approved, multiple times, but we shall see!

Good luck, hope you get an answer soon!

tricia keegan 02-18-2013 02:43 PM

I hope you get approval soon Penny, good luck!

Pamelamary 02-18-2013 02:45 PM

Penny, Taxotere really packed a punch with my liver mets, so be optimistic! The Pertuzamab may come in handy at a later stage.
Best wishes.... Pam

Redwolf8812 02-18-2013 03:33 PM

Pam - why did you have to stop taking the taxotere?

- Penny

Pamelamary 02-18-2013 11:14 PM

Hi Penny,
After 6 treatments, i felt I had had enough - the mets had shrunk to almost nothing and I was feeling lousy. So it was always planned to have as much as I could take, then see how the Herceptin held.
It was very much cumulative with me; at first I was going fine, but by the end I was extremely tired and getting all sorts of minor infections, as well as neuropathy. You can't predict how it will affect you. I know others have had many more doses - and if it works!!?!?
I hope it does the trick for you.
Beat wishes..... Pam

Pray 02-19-2013 10:48 PM

Penny, Hoping and praying for you. Gods blessings to you my friend.

phil 02-20-2013 12:06 PM

Report your ins. co to your state board. and tell the ins. co. you are thinking of going public with how they are delaying pert. and tellhow This FDA has held back full appr. of pert, denying it to stageiv folks. that story goes well with our fight to get full appr. for t dm-1.

Redwolf8812 02-22-2013 03:30 AM

Genentech got involved and the insurance company finally got around to rejecting the pertuzumab. So now the oncologist will either appeal the insurance company's decision or try to get it directly from Genentech. However, getting it directly from Genentech will probably be a bust because we make just over the income limit. And who knows, it may not work anyway, or cause a bad reaction, which has happened to me in the past with other drugs.

Anyhow, side effects (physically and mentally) are taking their toll and I may have to go out on disability. I worked the numbers and our monthly income will go down quite a bit, but my husband says not to worry, we'll be fine, God will provide, as He always does. I used to enjoy being a mom, wife, and employee, and felt I gave my all but I can no longer give 100% to all 3 vocations. If something has to give, it'll have to be work.

We're looking forward to a vacation in May to Disney World. Praying all goes well.

I still try to remember to thank God for the blessings in my life. He loves us.

God's Blessings to you all. Love, me

NEDenise 02-23-2013 06:37 AM

Penny,
I'm sorry P isn't working out the way we had hoped. I know you'll keep going with what you've got...I just wish things were easier.

And I know how you're feeling about your 3 vocations...I'm dealing with that too. I know what I have to do...choose the 2 more important ones...wife and mother....but like you pointed out, when the third one helps pay for the other two, it's not so easy.

As always, you're in my prayers, friend
Denise