HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Started Pertuzumab on Thursday...YAAAY! Major diarrhea...BOOO:( (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57099)

jml 01-19-2013 02:56 PM

Started Pertuzumab on Thursday...YAAAY! Major diarrhea...BOOO:(

Hi Friends~
So excited to report that I started Pertuzumab on Thursday, with a mini dose of Taxotere because my plateletts are so low, and Herceptin.
I know this combo is going to work!
BUT, this diarrhea that I'm experiencing 36 hours after is BRUTAL and rivals Tykerb as I remember it.
At least the infusion is only q3 weeks, so I hope this side effect doesn't last the entire time.
I'm afraid to eat out or eat and leave my house for fear of something really awful happening while I'm out in public!

I know this is a common side effect, but is there anyone else out there that can share some practical information about their experiences?

I don't want to have to bail on this regimen bc of the GI issues!

Keeping the Faith~

Jessica

StephN 01-19-2013 03:18 PM

Re: Started Pertuzumab on Thursday...YAAAY! Major diarrhea...BOOO:(

Hi Jessica -
GOOD for you! So glad to hear you got this drug combo.

Knowing that there can be GI issues with P, did you work on getting your gut as healthy as possible with supplements such as acidophilus and bifidus?

Flori has a thread on this issue and others have also mentioned having this problem, and it seems to lessen for most. Hope this will be the case for you as well.

How is your chest? Did the rads treatment tire you? Sounds like it had the desired effect on the tumor.

NEDenise 01-19-2013 04:24 PM

Oh Jess!
I'm so happy and excited for you! My Tykerb diarrhea comes and goes. I have found that lately, since starting an iron supplement daily...the two SIs sort of balance out on most days. Not recommending that as a fix for anyone else, but it's working for me lately! :)
Sending prayers, love and a healing glow your way!
You go girl!
Denise

KDR 01-19-2013 06:14 PM

Hi, Jessica
Glad to hear that you have started the infusions (let's do this thing!!). Sounds like your body is reacting to a new and different type of medication, and this is a good sign, it's unlike anything it's felt before...the cancer cells are bound to be shocked.

I don't have the d. issue. But I have found that lentils, peas, and a diets of bean protein helps. Keep that Pedialyte on hand, one cup for every episode.

Feel good, my friend.
Love
Karen

Paty 01-19-2013 06:37 PM

Jessica,
Hope you feel well soon and that the side-effects go away so you can be free to keep going with your life. Sending you love and hugs.

karen z 01-19-2013 06:54 PM

Jess,
Very good news that you are on the new plan.
Sorry about the side effects. Sounds like you have (already) some good things to try.

carolanno 01-20-2013 11:30 AM

Have you tried Immodium? That always works for me.

carolanno 01-20-2013 11:33 AM

Have you tried Immodium? That always works for me. also, remember, loading dose is twice normal dose so side effects should lessen next infusion.

Pray 01-20-2013 08:03 PM

Jessica, I'm so glad you started the treatment and for the most part so far so good. I hope someone here comes up with the right fix for your other problem. Gods blessings to you. You are always in my prayers.

Laurel 01-21-2013 06:45 PM

Jessica,

Man, that sounds wicked, but hopefully the GI problems will lessen with more exposure to the drug. I think Flori has been trying to work through it, too, and it does seem to be a rough-go (no pun intended) initially. Still, I am glad to hear you have a regime going now. How are you feeling post radiation? Did it help to relieve some of the cardiac symptoms?

Jackie07 01-22-2013 10:38 PM

Jessica,

I always cook plain rice suop - just rice and a lot of water cooked in the pot. Rice is starch which be dissolved by mouth water. Chew it real well in your mouth before swallowing... The liquid will keep you hydrated. Give it a try...