HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   PERJETA loading dose right now! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56880)

SoCalGal 12-20-2012 11:49 AM

PERJETA loading dose right now!

Surprised in a good way at infusion this morning. Somehow someone approved my PERJETA as a single agent! YAY. I will do vitamin H and Avastin once the PERJETA finishes and they observe me for an hour. Hoping for great synergistic activity....

(Please weigh in if you've used this combo with regard to side effects.) hoping for low to no side effects.

Laurel 12-20-2012 03:31 PM

Re: PERJETA loading dose right now!

Haven't used the cocktail, Flori, but so happy to hear you were granted approval to go forward with the Perjeta. I have heard good stories of its effectiveness! May it get and keep you NED!

StephN 12-20-2012 05:00 PM

Dear Flori - So much for your holiday surprise! And what a good one.

Hope this will get you back to finding that fickle NED. This should be a little easier to tolerate than the Tykerb. And hits those "other" HER targets.

Also, happy to hear that Avastin has been such a good drug for you and they let you have it again.

karen z 12-20-2012 05:02 PM

Flori,
This sounds good.
So happy for you.

'lizbeth 12-20-2012 05:18 PM

Awesome news! Merry Christmas. So happy Scrooge was off at the insurance company.

jacqueline1102 12-20-2012 05:25 PM

Hi Flori,

Congrats on the Perjeta! I have been on the Perjeta and Herceptin combo since August 1st of this year. I have to say I continue to work fulltime in a hospital and active in my social life. I'm in bed most nights by 10:30 pm but other than that, doing ok. I had tummy grumbles and some diarrhea on the first and second infusion but after that no troubles since. My liver spot is down to .6 mm so we shall see in January when I am scanned again. Drink lots of water as you probably already know. I do believe that our physicians make it happen for patients when it comes to these cancer medications. Glad this happened for you.

Take care,

Jackie

SoCalGal 12-20-2012 05:44 PM

Thanks for the words of cheer and also, Jackie - thanks for sharing your experience. I am once again in hope mode, so I HOPE this freakin' works!

I was happy to learn that I can continue on Avastin as well. Am hitting a lot of targets - hope my aim is dead-on the cancer cells!

Jackie07 12-20-2012 07:47 PM

Flori,

May all you hopes come true in this beautiful season...

~ Another Jackie

NEDenise 12-20-2012 07:49 PM

Flori!
What happy holiday news!!
So excited for you!
Denise

Pray 12-21-2012 01:05 AM

Praying for good health and happiness for you!

Redwolf8812 12-21-2012 04:18 AM

Prayer going up!

http://www.dreamstime.com/christmas-...umb3682665.jpg

Paula O 12-21-2012 05:54 AM

Rooting for ya, Flori!

Paula

JennyB 12-21-2012 06:54 AM

Great news

Ceesun 12-21-2012 09:42 AM

Flori, Congrats on getting perjeta! How did you do it!?? as my insurance denied based on prior treatment with Vitamin H---please advise! Ceesun

SoCalGal 12-21-2012 09:55 AM

Cees- I contacted Genentech and they have a patient assistance program. Interactive PDF form. Doc fills out one and states medical necessity. Patient fills out the other and states income- Genentech will advise needed poverty level to qualify. Since I am allergic to tax antes (thanks auto correct) taxanes I believe I was approved for single agent use by Genentech. Unfortunately can't tolerate Tykerb right now so am using PERJETA herceptin (w premeds - a whole regime of pills the day before and leading up to infusion in am-due to allergic reaction to that as well) and zometa for bone mets. Seemed to get better results w zometa vs xgeva buts its possible that in a few months I will try alternating those two, too...there was some mention of blue cross approval and Genentech assistance as back up so I am not positive which is covering the drug.

It took me two weeks of daily emails to five people in the chain at my oncologists office to get things moved forward to get approval. That was after discussing w my dr 6-9 weeks ago so it's slow go frustrating but they pulled it off somehow.

yanyan 12-21-2012 10:23 AM

Hope perjeta will work well for you Flori ! Very happy to hear you got to try this new drug !!

caya 12-21-2012 11:00 AM

Mazel Tov dear Flori! Great news!

all the best
caya

michka 12-22-2012 12:11 PM

Flori, what good news you could get Perjeta with Avastin and H + Zometa!

Ok guys! You better demonstrate your"synergistic activity"! We are watching you! We want Flori back to Ned.
Michka

Lilylady 12-22-2012 02:20 PM

I finished 6 tx of Perjeta/Herceptin/Taxotere then 2 addtional tx of just Per/Her. First scan after 3 tx was fabulous-major regression. last scan was Monday and major progression sorry to report. So in Jan I will be adding the Taxotere back in.
I was fourth line chemo but after much fighting the insurance company has finally paid.

evlin75 12-22-2012 03:30 PM

My daughter was given special access to Perjeta because of the Ommaya abscess and being on antibiotics. Her physician manged to do that for her as the infection treatment precluded the use of the taxanes. She was already on Herceptin IV (and IT because of the leptomeningeal mets). Also taking Tykerb.
Avastin did not work for her. Navelbine and Xeloda did not help much either.
Her tumor markers had climbed and are now down dramatically since the Perjeta infusions of just three treatments.
Good luck!
Ev