HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Scan Results and 1st Taxotere (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56529)

Kim in CA 11-09-2012 01:00 PM

Scan Results and 1st Taxotere

So,

Went in Weds. for my first Taxotere and got results of my PET scan from the day before.

Scan showed suspicious area in the left lobe of my liver. Hmmmm.....interesting considering the left lobe was removed back in 2002!

Anyway, doc is ordering an MRI to take a closer look at things. We also discussed doing Cyberknife at UCSF or Stanford if the MRI reveals what I think it will. That way, if we can zap the area quickly, I may not have to be on chemo as long.

Good news was not to find any other areas of concern, so just glad to be gettin' after it for now!

Also, my onc still feels that Taxotere will work better for me than the Abraxane, but said that we could always change if SE's became a problem. After all, Taxotere got me to NED before, so I'm good with that.

Kim

StephN 11-09-2012 02:04 PM

Re: Scan Results and 1st Taxotere

Dear Kim -
So very bummed to see your markers rise like that. Have you had a bone scan? Odd that just a place in your liver would cause that continued rise.

About that left liver lobe that was removed. That resection was 10 years ago and that may be long enough for it to regenerate. There could have been micromets in your bone marrow biding their time which have been filter-trapped in your liver.

Have you been able to look at your scans to see just what your liver looks like now?

Lots to think about, but I am praying that Taxotere will send those mets packing where ever they may be.

When is your screening brain MRI? I am up to 8 months between MRIs, but my rad onc hesitates to let me go longer than that.

Mandamoo 11-09-2012 04:52 PM

Glad you now have a course of action - there is no reason to think treatment will not work as well as it has for you before. Wishing you well.

Jean 11-09-2012 11:35 PM

Kim,
You are one tough cookie, that along with the Taxotere and you will get those markers down and be back to NED.
Best wishes,
Jean

'lizbeth 11-11-2012 08:09 PM

Kim,

Hoping for quick results and a return to NED ASAP!

KsGal 11-12-2012 02:43 AM

Sorry to hear about the possible setback, Kim. Prayers for a quick return back to NED, and a big cyberhug to you

Mary Anne in TX 11-12-2012 08:20 AM

Yup! I agree, that with you and Taxotere together, that ol' cancer hasn't a chance. Sending prayers and good thoughts for smooth sailing with the treatment.

mamacze 11-14-2012 08:55 PM

Well, this is a bit worrisome. I don't like the upward trend of your tumor markers. How did you react to Taxotere when you were on it last?
Also, Kim will you be getting a biopsy? If yes, would your oncologist send your tissue sample for a genetic profile? I did this last month and the lab returned not only the exact genetic mutation on my tumor but also a drug that has shown promise with this particular mutation. (Afinitor).
Providentially, I got a call today from my primary doc that my routine blood work came back with abnormal liver function tests - back to my oncologist on Tuesday to discuss next steps. You and I seem to track each other ... so now we have to work hard and keep reaching out to NED.
Keep us posted please....
Love Kim (from CT)

chrisy 11-14-2012 10:05 PM

Ok Kim's,
Remember knowledge is power; the more information you have, the better equipped you will be for choosing hthe next step.

Hugs and love to you both

Pray 11-14-2012 10:40 PM

Hope all goes well with your mri. please know that you will be in my prayers. looking forward to your posts. Gods blessings to you.

Kim in CA 11-15-2012 10:25 AM

Hi All,

Had 2nd Taxotere yesterday, and so far feeling really good. Just a little fatigue, but not bad.

Still waiting to get MRI of liver area and 6 month brain MRI scheduled, but I'm feeling very positive right now.

Got the tumor marker and Her2 Serum results from last week, taken just before my 1st taxotere infusion. They both had actually come back down 10% from the month before, and this was before any taxotere. So, I have to believe that my immune system is trying hard (with the help of the Herceptin) to get after it.

We will run markers again next week to see where things are. My doc innitially didn't want to run them for a month, but we compromised and will do them every 2 weeks for now. What can I say, I like to watch the numbers!

And Kim, as far as getting a biopsy, I guess we'll have to see what the MRI reveals. If there is definite activity in the liver, I'm not sure how invasive of a procedure a liver biopsy would be. Maybe just easier to zap it with the CyberKnife? Lots to think on for sure.

The main thing is that we're staying on top of things. And it really sounds like you've got a top notch doc in your corner. Wishing you good luck on Tues.

Kim

yanyan 11-15-2012 10:30 AM

That's great news Kim! May you be NED very soon !!