HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   paper cut nightmare (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56351)

laureen 10-21-2012 07:07 PM

paper cut nightmare

got a paper cut on finger thursday night, in the er friday night. celulitis in arm and hand. just got released sunday night. oh the joy, of lymphedma.

evergreen 10-21-2012 08:22 PM

Re: paper cut nightmare

I don't have a comment re the paper cut, but want to say how wonderful, that you have had a baby and expect another!

KsGal 10-21-2012 10:52 PM

I can sympathize..Lymphedema SUCKS. All that from a paper cut. I accidentally poked, and I do mean POKED, my thumb opening a package with a knife, and that little tiny slit took over a month to finally heal and the swelling in my thumb and hand to go down. No cellulitis, luckily. Lots of hugs to you...

laureen 10-22-2012 06:28 AM

i have constant edema in my hand and forearm. my fore arm is twice the size of mygood arm. it has been this way for about 5 1/2 years now. Evergreen, yes it is a blessing for sure. i did not update my signature, Lucy was born in 201. no more pregnancies for this momma.

KDR 10-22-2012 08:25 AM

Well, I am so sorry about that, glad you are up and on your way.
I suffer from low platelets (T-DM1) and had been on blood thinners to unclot the artery. I got a bloody nose and had my face packed for four days--in the hospital. Morphine all the way.

Karen

KsGal 10-24-2012 10:23 PM

Oh Laureen..Im sorry to hear that its your whole forearm that is affected. ((hugs)) For me its just my index finger and my thumb and so far thats it (knock on wood) on a consistent basis. Sending lots of prayers and positive energy your way. Maybe we should bubble wrap ourselves!!!

Jackie07 10-25-2012 02:49 AM

Glad you've got it taken care of in time. When I first experienced cellulitis/lymphedema in 2007, I waited two days before going to the ER. [Hubby called the oncology nurse and was directed to bring me in right away...]

Paula O 10-25-2012 04:25 AM

I hope you heal up very quickly, Laureen. How is your arm and hand doing now?

Paula

caya 10-25-2012 07:54 AM

How are you doing Laureen? Sorry about the constant lymphedema for you :-)

My lymphedema was brought on by me slicing veggies - I sliced my index finger on my right hand ever so slightly, on a Friday afternoon, Saturday morning my right hand was swollen. It was 2 years after my mastectomy. I knew exactly what it was, called my breast surgeon's office on Monday morning, saw him on Tuesday. He told me I was right to come in so quickly, he thought with some therapy and massage it would be reversible.

For the most part, I have been lucky. I am very careful now not to lift heavy objects, no longer iron (I am serious about this, as the repetitive motions can aggravate lymphedema), and I can't iron with my left hand. I now vacuum with my left hand. And of course I am very very careful about slicing veggies etc. and papercuts - Dettol antiseptic and polysporin immediately.

I do wear a sleeve and gauntlet when I fly. For the most part, I have been okay. Sometimes in very hot humid weather my hand will swell up slightly, so I try to stay indoors in the A/C on those days.

all the best
caya