HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Good news (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55906)

Lien 09-19-2012 05:35 AM

Good news

Hi all,

I thought I'd share some good news with all of you:

I went for my annual Mammo last week and told the tech that I felt a little lump. It looked like a complex cyst, so they biopsied it. Yesterday I got the good news: totally and completely benign.

Phew!

After 8 years and 9 months I had started to relax a little. Now I can go back to that relaxed state. Until the next scare...

Love

Jacqueline

AlaskaAngel 09-19-2012 07:43 AM

Re: Good news

Happy to hear the good news, Jacqueline, and looking forward to many more years of the same for you!

I did my checkup and imaging this past month too (at 10 years out from diagnosis). All clear, with marker of 10, and mammo and ultrasound. I will be having an echo in November to see where things are in terms of my heart, due to the Adriamycin.

I never did any AI, and my DEXA is well above the normal range for women my age.

The IMRT rads resulted in significant radiation fibrosis that has hardened basically into a painful mound of gristle in the breast that is gradually tightening more and more over the years and is pulling on my shoulder, and the the elbow tries to compensate for that, so I have lost a great deal of the strength in that shoulder and arm, which are painful, but still usable for lesser tasks.

One interesting recommendation I received from my breast surgeon is to change from yearly mammo only to adding in a breast MRI every year 6 months after the mammo, due to the extensive family history I have of bc. Otherwise, weight management continues to be the only other recommendation for me.

What are you doing to celebrate?

AlaskaAngel

Lien 09-19-2012 08:38 AM

Hi Alaska Angel,

Good to hear you are fine as well. I have some fibrosis in the radiated breast, but not too much. My only issue is that after 5 years of ovarian suppression, my periods came back. They seem to be petering out a bit, but still pop up at 3 month intervals. Irritating. These hormones also seem to cause or aggravate cysts, which is a bit worrysome.

Discussed this with my doc, and he said that at 53 I should be postmenopausal before too long. We also talked about MRI's but he said there are a lot of false positives with that, especially with the cysts. I could end up with more x-rays which we both think is not what we are aiming for. So annual mammo with ultrasound it is for me. If I"m not postmenopausal next year, I will discuss removig my ovaries after all. This might lead to a higher risk of cardiovascular disease, but hey, you gotta take some risks in life.

Hope you stick around without a recurrance for decades to come.

Love

Jacqueline

Jackie07 09-19-2012 09:22 AM

Glad to hear the good news. It must have been a scary experience!

Paula O 09-19-2012 01:04 PM

I'm so happy for you. What a relief that good news must have been.

Paula

Pray 09-21-2012 10:59 AM

Awesome! Gods blessings to you!