HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Can of Worms (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55273)

MikeF 07-24-2012 11:29 AM

Can of Worms

I may be opening a huge can of worms here but were looking for some input or advice. We talked to the coordinator at the hospital today about Barb getting the TDM-1. She was totally shocked to learn that we havent filed for disability or Mdcd. I talked to Barb about this when she was first diagnosed in Aug 2010. Her feeling and I dont totally disagree is that there are so many people out there that are taking advantage of the system that the country is in the shape its in. My question if not to personal is do the majority of you with stage IV collect a disability check or Mdcd benefits. Believe me when I say we arent lacking for anything nor are we swimming in money. The Onco bill and the hospital bill continue to grow and they seem to be patient enough with our meager attempts to pay each month. My insurance pays 80% until a certain point then 100% but by then the damage is done. I guess Im looking for confirmation that this is what most are doing. Thanks for all the encouraging words in the past and I hope to hear more in the future.

Jackie07 07-24-2012 11:44 AM

Re: Can of Worms

My feeling/experience is that most people try not to declare himself/herself disabled until they have to.

If I had applied for disability in 1990 after my 23-hour brain (tumor) surgery and PT, OT, ST, I would likely have become permanently disabled long, long time ago. [Figured that part out after staying home for merely 3 months after my first job loss (1991). It was such a terrifying experience that I would never ever allow myself to be idle/depressed/isolated...]

MikeF 07-24-2012 02:42 PM

What I really need to know from the people that have been there and done that is this. What are the advantages and disadvantages, my understanding is Mdcd will go back several years and pay existing bills. My concern is are there any treatments or procedures that Barb could be denied if on Mdcd or disability. I understand that all of this may be subject to drastic changes under the present administration.

Sheila 07-24-2012 03:17 PM

Mike
I do know that since I am already covered by my husbands insurance , when I went on disability, and then Medicare, the Medicare was secondary. I paid for the Medicare premium out of my Social Security Disability check, but it rarely ever paid anything, as my husbands insurance paid first. Tne cost was a couple hundred a month, so I dropped the part you pay for and kept the part for free that cover hospitalization. Imwent on disability original from my company when I was no longer able to work. then after 6 months, I had to apply for SSD, and I have been on it ever since. I have never felt guilty, Impaid into it for many years when I worked, and I would much rather be working!!!! You probably need to talk to the SSD office, and see if they woulday retro on anything. if I remember correctly, you had to be off work 6 months to qualify for disability, and a year to qualify for Medicare....hope this info helped

Vicki revised 07-25-2012 08:18 PM

I receive SS disability and will be eligible for Medicare in March. Like Sheila I will be able to keep my existIng insurance as the primary with Medicare as secondary. There are many issues and considerations regarding disability inc. taxes and such.

Anyone with stage 4 breast cancer is disabled according to SS and those cases are fast tracked. This is why I paid SS taxes all those years. Within 3 weeks after applying I was approved and received retroactive payment.

I am not aware of any limitations for treatments due to being disabled. Are you perhaps confusing Medicare with medicaid, or disability with SS supplemental income?

Jackie07 08-19-2012 09:04 PM

Found an old posting of mine in the ‘Getting HOSED by my health plan – anyone else?’ thread started by StephN in 2011http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49351&highlight=medicare+advantag e+plan
“I searched my e-mail files and found a message from Medicare. The questionnaire I was supposed to fill out did include an option for 'other. Because there wasn't enough 'visual ques', I had thought Medicare did not cover my brain tumor and breast cancer. [Coupled with the fact that none of my oncologists (surgical, medical, radiation) were listed as providers of Medicare.]

Reading the book [Medicare & You] again, I found that the two plans -
Medicare + supplemental plan and the MedicareAdvantageplan are just like the other medical insurance choices: either a Non-HMO or a HMO/PPO.

The
MedicareAdvantageplan is pretty much the Medicare version of HMO/PPO. I'm sticking to my HMO because it's a huge medical facility and it has saved my life several times. The insurance concern was never an issue here. The neurosurgeon who had seen me 15 days before the surgery in June, 1990 had even told me [before my insurance issue was resolved -> a special contract was eventually made] to go to the emergency room if I began to experience certain symptoms.”

Rolepaul 08-20-2012 08:04 AM

I can tell you that we make about 100,000 a year and struggled to own a home, and now are renting, to be able to afford the health care, travel to the healthcare site, and normal living expenses. We would never have made it without Nina being able to live at her brother's house. If your wife has breast cancer, and can apply for diability, I think she should. Nina has not worked very steadily since 2005, and was only part time until last Decemeber when she started treatment. Disability payments were not available for her in NC, but we did not look at Social Security. 50% of all bankruptcies are due to medical issues. Do not be one of them. Get the help you need.

dchips1 08-20-2012 07:11 PM

I applied for social security disability after my craniotomy in 1/10. I received my first check 6 months later. the amount of the check is based on your work history. I also receive an additional amount equal to half of what I receive for my son. he is the only minor in the house of our 6 kids. So I get 2 checks every month, Mine for me and an additional check for him. He can receive checks from my social security disability till he is 18 or no longer in school. Your SS amount is taxable, not the children's. You do have to fill out a report of what you spent or saved for the kid's money once per year. So if you used that to help pay the daily expenses of raising a child, that's what you put down. Medicare kicks in 24 months after you start receiving benefits.

My husband is still actively employed and carries our primary insurance. So we have no changes in doctors, or medicines. So as long as he is actively employed medicare is secondary. When he retires then medicare is primary. I am not sure about "state aide" in your state, in Arizona there are programs that help cover the "GAP" between medicare and being on the states "medicaid, welfare" etc.

My medicare (I elected part A and Part B) No drug coverage, our private company's med coverage is excellent. So after meeting the deductible of 140.00 medicare picks up 80% of the copay. So my 30.00 copay goes down to range of 0.00-6.00, depending on the type of service.

With Medicare and stage 4 cancer once through the initial request for records, no follow up appointments, records or hassle. You can still work and make some money, and still be eligible.

I also had a term life insurance policy I had had for years before being dx with cancer, you can take what is called an accelerated death benefit with being stge 4. 75% of the value and then they keep the 25% and pay your former premium. TAX FREE MONEY. We used it to pay off 2nd mortgage, and bills. So I still have enough left over to pay final expenses.(Plus I have life insurance through my husbands work )
My Goal is to outlive the 50 grand they kept to pay my 25.00 monthly premium! That equals out to about 166.67 years!!!
So there is my 2 cents on SS disability, Sometimes yes there are those that abuse or expect handouts. But then there are the real people who sometimes need to take that step to ease "financial Stress", one less thing to worry about so you can focus on your "Battle"
Love and prayers to you
Darita