HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Acouple of days of worry (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54433)

pibikay 05-19-2012 02:48 AM

Acouple of days of worry

On Tuseday Morning Hema got up as usual and had her morning cup.Then she could not get up from the Chair and she fell down.I rang up the Onc and he asled me to give her ashot of NEUKINE. I got hold of the local nurse and gave her the injection.By 2 in the afternoon she stopped responding when called and I rushed her to the Hospital in an Ambulance.A series of Blood Tests and Brain CT were done.The first good news was that the Brain CT showed a normal study.Then came the blood test her blood count was down to 700.She was on drips (iv) of sodium and magnesium sulphate and antibiotics.By wednesday she was nearly back to normal but there was diorreah.She had more shots of NEUKINE AND THE BLOOD TEST ON tHURSDAY MORNING SHOWED that the blood count has gone up to 20900.
She was discharged yesterday and she is practically back to normal but very weak.The Onc has ordered a blood test for the 22nd and given an appointment for the 23rd when he will decide about going ahed with the Chemo on the 30th.I am hoping for the best

Jackie07 05-19-2012 05:04 AM

Re: Acouple of days of worry

Thank goodness she's OK now! What a scare!

And thank goodness for new medicine such as neukine - seems we've had some discussion about filgrastim before.

http://www.whitepharmaceuticals.com/neukine.html

Hope both of you have had some rest and things will stay normal from now on.

ElaineM 05-19-2012 11:13 AM

Oh my goodness !! What a scare !! I am so sorry this happened, but I am glad Hema is on the road to recovery. I hope everything goes well from now on.
I know you will take good care of Hema. Take good care of yourself too.

KDR 05-19-2012 02:11 PM

Pibikay,
Poor Hema! Poor you! What a scary thing!
Hema has been through a lot lately (and I just want to hug you for being such a gentlemanly caregiver)...I'm sure this is just her body's response to the recent therapies.

As always,
Wishing you the very, very best and thank you for keeping us updated.

Karen

pibikay 05-20-2012 05:17 AM

Thanks to all of you.I forgot to add that Neukine is a prescription medicine available only in "Cancer Hospitals"I had to call my sis-in-law to drive over to Hema's hospital where on her Onc's mail the medicine was delivered and She got down to me.I am told by Our Onc's registrar the dosage is three injections,But after the second one as her blood count shot up the third was dispensed with.I have the third vial in the refrigirator.

Joan M 05-20-2012 06:59 PM

PBK,

A terrible ordeal for Hema and you. Thank goodness she has recovered. May the vial in the refrigerator remain unopened.

Joan

KsGal 05-20-2012 11:50 PM

Oh my goodness, how terribly scary. I am so glad she is doing better now, and her blood levels are improved. Many prayers and positive thoughts to you both.

Sheila 05-21-2012 04:41 AM

So glad hema is improving..what a scary occurence. Is the shot she gets similar to Neulasta or Neupogen to stimulate white blood cells? Sending positive thoughts your way!

pibikay 05-21-2012 06:45 AM

Yes Sheila, they are similar

chrisy 05-21-2012 08:21 AM

Glad things have turned around. It is so scary how quckly things can happen
So important that you stay vigilant.

schoolteacher 05-21-2012 10:07 AM

Hope Hema is feeling better today.

Amelia

sassy 05-21-2012 04:51 PM

Glad to hear Hema is feeling better. You are such a diligent caregiver. My best to you both.