HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   I Am Every Woman (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51853)

SoCalGal 10-20-2011 11:49 PM

I Am Every Woman

(Hope you don't mind...in honor of PINKTOBER I am re-posting this poem from 2007).

I AM EVERY WOMAN

I am every woman with stage-four breast cancer. I am every tear ever shed. I am every pain, every fear, every test, every scan.

I am every unpredictable tumor marker. Rising to diminish hope. Sinking to diminish fear.

I am every feeling of despair, of fear, of loneliness, of isolation, of shame and of worry. I am every woman longing for her breasts, grateful for how they nourished her children and satisfied her lovers. I am every woman mourning their loss. I am that empty space; I am every missing breast. I am every lopsided shirt, every uncomfortable bra, every prosthetic, every implant, every insert, and every effort to camouflage and fill in the void. I am every reconstructed nipple trying to match what only God could make.

I am every child who has watched their mother fighting for her life. I am every child who has lost their mother to the fight.

I am every hair, floating from its scalp, falling in clumps, in tufts, in long winding tattle-tails until nothing is left but a newborn’s head.

I am every woman’s broken heart as she stands in front of the mirror; Pale from chemo, Breast-less and bald, Naked and vulnerable, TRYING to be a warrior.

I am every woman as she puts on her warrior paint. I am every hand-drawn eyebrow, every glued-on eyelash, every pot of blush, every wig, every scarf, every turban, every cap, and every hat. I am every woman warrior, painted bravely for battle.

I am every woman with stage-four (metastatic-shhhh!) Breast cancer
Trying to sleep at night, trying to find comfort and safety and hope.

I am stage-four (metastatic-shhhh!) breast cancer.
Dividing for NO reason or for too much? estrogen, progesterone, sugar, stress…OR genetic damage, Or not enough? Antioxidants, amino acids, omega 3’s, omega 6’s, melatonin, vitamin d, vitamin e, vitamin a, vitamin b, vitamin c, green tea, red tea, black tea…

I am every woman with METS to her lungs, her sternum, her bones, her lymph nodes, her spine, her liver, her kidney, her skin, her brain, her body, her heart (BUT NOT HER SPIRIT).

I am every woman with Stage-Four Metastatic Shhhh! Breast cancer to her life. Mets to her family, her friends and her lovers.

I am every woman with STAGE FOUR metastatic breast cancer (out loud), desperately awaiting a cure. Wishing and hoping and praying and begging and fighting and fighting and fighting.

I AM EVERY WOMAN WITH STAGE 4 (of 4) METASTATIC BREAST CANCER (LOUD). Running for a cure, walking for a cure, painting for a cure, writing for a cure, researching and networking, and donating, and praying and hoping and fighting and fighting and fighting and fighting for a cure.

I am every woman, demanding a cure. I am every woman, with stage-four metastatic breast cancer, DEMANDING A CURE.

Bunty 10-21-2011 01:56 AM

Re: I Am Every Woman

Hi SoCoGal, thanks very much for posting this - I haven't seen it before, and in a funny way, isn't it a blessing of sorts that you are re-posting something from 2007.

This made me smile and shed a tear at the same time.

Cheers, Marie

bejuce 10-21-2011 10:42 AM

Beautifully written, thanks for posting!

Andrea Barnett Budin 10-21-2011 11:16 AM

I Am Every Woman

Flori, Flori, Morning Glory, I remember when you posted this! I loved it then. I still do! And I still love you. Your Spirit is so very beautiful -- you glow...!

StephN 10-21-2011 11:40 AM

Dear Flori -
Your inspired writing had great impact when you first posted this, and it deserves to be seen by many more eyes and felt by many more hearts.

Keep fighting and fighting and fighting and ...

ElaineM 10-21-2011 01:56 PM

Thank you so much for posting this. Beutifully written.

Andrea Barnett Budin 10-21-2011 02:04 PM

Only someone who has personally been through the bc/ stage 4 thing could have written this. It comes from your Soul, Flori. You speak for each of us. Truly.

You give, to those who are caretakers, partners in Life, a peek at what we have encountered. You touch each of my emotions, thoughts, glancing images.

And I love that you continue to fight on, as even those who are NED do each day. It's somewhat easier to forge forward from where I now am, but -- it never goes away. I constantly re-enforce my message, and to my body, to the Universe. Daily.

YOU'RE ALL SO AMAZING! GOTTA LOVE YOU.

jml 10-21-2011 02:44 PM

Thanks so much for posting.
You know that saying, "You can put a lipstick on a pig, but at the end of the day, it's still a pig"?
With Stage IV MBC, you can put a pretty pink ribbon on it, but at the end of the day, it's still Stage IV MBC...

I love your avatar...you pup looks like scooby doo;)

LoisLane 10-21-2011 02:55 PM

This is amazing. You went right into my soul. Those words are wrenching but so so brave.
You are brave and strong and I am sending you all the light I can. Take care Lois

Pray 10-21-2011 11:15 PM

Great Poem! Thank you and Gods blessings to you~

Sheila 10-22-2011 04:10 AM

Flori.....truly heartfelt...I shared your poem on my facebook, and had many many readers and tears
Thank you for sharing!!! Your thoughts so resonate with so many of us!