HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Lump in lymph node (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51671)

JennyB 10-06-2011 02:55 AM

Lump in lymph node

Hi Everyone,
I am slightly panicked at the moment as I have had a lump in one of my lymph nodes (cancer side) that seems to disappear at will!!??
I was with the lymph OT the other day and told her about it she had a feel and said what this lump? Of course yet again I absolutely freaked out but tried to keep my cool - paid no attention to a word she spoke about for the next 20 mins only to tell her that it had gone again and sure enough she couldn't feel it??
I have since gone to my doctor, who works with my breast surgeon so should be in the know and got a referral for an ultrasound she couldn't feel anything and wasn't too concerned which relieved me immensely, HOWEVER the lump is back today and has been there all day I cannot rationalise it at all and can feel the stress levels rising.
Has anyone had anything like this happen to them?
Would this be a bad omen if it was a local recurrence whilst still in active treatment??
Will I get to sleep tonight??
Thank you for any insights offered
Jenny x

Ellie F 10-06-2011 03:54 AM

Re: Lump in lymph node

Hi Jenny
Is the swollen node in your neck or collar bone area? As you know lymph nodes respond to other things as well as cancer, infection/inflammation being most common.I feel the fact it comes up and then goes down is a good sign. You also have two small children who often bring upper respiratory infections home and you may just be responding to that. Try not to panic too much yet, I KNOW its hard not to! I think you will feel better once you have had the ultrasound and then if there is still uncertainty a biopsy will put your mind at rest.

Hugs
Ellie

JennyB 10-06-2011 04:05 AM

Hi Ellie,
Thanks for the response, the lump is about 4 cm in from the armpit just above the radiated area. I did wonder about kiddie germs but could I really be that sensitive that the lump was my only symptom??
Jenny x

Ellie F 10-06-2011 04:43 AM

Hi again
My chemo nurse had the same thing on and off for years whilst her son was little. She was fully investigated for bc numerous times but nothing and even had an opinion and investigations by a haematologist. Eventually when her son got to about 11 years it stopped!
That said please insist they check it out fully! You will then have some peace of mind.
Ellie

Pray 10-06-2011 04:52 AM

Hi Jenny,

I had one also in the same area and my dr. said a tumor does not move it can grow and spread but once its in place it stays. Mine was inflammation and I hope and pray yours is also. Try not to worry until you have something for sure to worry about I have heard this said over and over again on this site. Gods blessings to you and your beautiful little family.

Your Friend,

Nancy

JennyB 10-09-2011 12:02 AM

Thanks Ellie and Nancy for your supportive words,
The lump has now been there for quite a few days and I am doubting if it ever was transient or if I just stopped feeling deep enough - it is rather deep to find and sometimes I guess subconsciously you just don't want to find it?
Anyway as was feeling very anxious I called my onc! It is sunday here so you can imagine how bad I am!
He asked a few questions and has basically said its 50/50. He did say it would be classed as a local recurrence but was a little sketchy as to how bad that would show the Herceptin as working for me?? He said something about Herceptin being better against lung liver and bones than lymph??
Anyway I will let you know Tuesday how I go finger s crossed for me please!
Oh he did also say that it is not uncommon to get lumps other than cancer in the vicinity due to radiation scar tissue etc so hope like hell that is me, I have recently started back at the gym and swimming - I'm clutching at straws and rambling sorry.
Jenny xx

Trish 10-09-2011 03:29 AM

Stay hopeful Jenny. Glad you are seeing to the problem but I'm hoping it is nothing to worry about.
Trish

Ellie F 10-09-2011 04:19 AM

Jenny sending you hopes and prayers for it to be b9! Please let us know.
Elllie

Pray 10-09-2011 10:21 PM

Dearest Little Sis Jenny,

Please know that you and your Beautiful little family are all in my prayers! I will be waiting to hear good news on Tues.

Peace,

Your Friend,

Nancy

Jackie07 10-09-2011 10:32 PM

Jenny,

I'm so glad you were able to get hold of your oncologist 'on Sunday'. Waiting is always the hardest thing. Sending you good vibes.

Sheila 10-10-2011 06:29 AM

Jenny
You are right to get it checked...sending good vibes and lots of prayers your way that you willl find out its nothing to worry about.....the waiting is always so hard....
Positive thoughts!

Henny 10-10-2011 06:50 AM

Hi Jenny,
I also had a lump appear on the side of my cancer right in my armpit. It was about the size of an egg and would get larger and smaller. Turned out to be cording of the tendon. The tendon would just retract into a ball. I went to a medical masseuse who as able to work it out
The first year after diagnosis is by far the scarriest with every oddball thing being suspect. Hoping and praying for you to just have a simple easy explanation and it checks out to be nothing to worry about

JennyB 10-10-2011 08:36 PM

Ladies,

I am happy to report that for the first time in my life I am happy to be called 'fat' - fatty lump to be precise and oh what joyeous words they are! I was so relieved I cried on the table the sonographer said that since I was so upset she would tell me that in her opinion - which wasn't a Dr's it was nothing to worry about and my GP confirmed later the same!!
Thank you all so much for caring and replying it really means so much to come to this site and get support with no strings attached.
I called my onc to thank him for the Sunday phone call and he said no worries any time its his job!! I thought that was lovely.
Anyway today I have decided that I have had a few mouse days and now I will be lion again - I even had some 85% dark chocolate which I haven't been able to stomach since finding my fatty lump!
Love to you all
Jenny xx

Pray 10-10-2011 08:51 PM

I am so happy for you Jenny. Gods blessings to you and your beautiful family! God is good all the time!

You must be so relieved!! I am for you!

Your Friend,

Nancy

Trish 10-10-2011 09:16 PM

Wonderful news Jenny, love that fat.
Trish

Ellie F 10-11-2011 03:56 AM

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy today. What good news!

Ellie

StephN 10-11-2011 11:31 AM

Very glad your scare turned out to have nothing to do with cancer!

My husband gets those fatty bumps. They are called lipomas, and usually do not cause any pain or irritation, just sit there and some get a little bigger. (He is on the lean side so those lumps really show up!)