HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Any Arm Port Info? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51276)

Deb33 09-08-2011 09:55 AM

Any Arm Port Info?

I had an arm port placed last week in my upper arm, toward the front. I had my last chemo without and my veins are shot. My onc thought it was a good idea for the remaining 4 Adria/10 Herc.

A couple of questions - it sticks out like a gum ball under my arm skin - is that typical? Looks bizarre. And doesn't it hurt when they use it? I would think the initial needle poke would hurt as it looks huge. I've heard a few people use numbing cream? Any other ideas?

snolan 09-08-2011 11:55 AM

Re: Any Arm Port Info?

All ports stick out because they are right under the skin, mine is in my chest and looks like a gumball. I haven't used any numbing cream the poke didn't bother me but everyone is different when it comes to needle sticks. It hasn't caused any pain with treatment, but it occasionally bothers me when I have my seatbelt on or a tight bra. My dog likes to rest his head on it so I have learned to watch out for that:) I had mine in for a year so I guess I have gotten used to it, I get it taken out tomorrow. Going to ask Dr if I can keep it for scrape book.

It's like gettting glasses, at first you notice them a lot then over time they just become part of you. Pretty soon you won't even give it a second thought (until you hit it on something).
Good Luck with your treatments.
Suzanne

Cam 09-08-2011 02:13 PM

I have a port in my chest. My doctor placed it so if I wear a tank top it doesn't show. It sticks out but I think its more noticable to us because we know its there. Mine looks like a flat raised button. I've had mine since January this year and hope to have it removed when my doctor does the surgery to transfer expanders to silicone. It is much easier with the port for sure. I have 5 more Hercetins to go but my plastic surgeon thinks I will have the surgery by fall so I might have to go back to using my veins which looks much better now. I use a stress ball to try to make my veins healthy again. Good Luck!!

tricia keegan 09-08-2011 03:07 PM

I too had a Bard chest pot port that stuck out because I'm quite thin, but was glad of it as my veins were so damaged during three cycles of a/c without it! (and still are six years later!)
I was so glad of it to finish my tx and emla cream ensured it never hurt:)

Pray 09-08-2011 05:37 PM

Hi Deb, I had my port out 10 months ago. While it was in They used a numbing spray that worked Great! I don't remember the name, Sorry. They said they use it mostly on children and babies. Gods blessings to you. hope all goes well.