HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Help with Nail infections (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51173)

Mandamoo 08-28-2011 05:24 PM

Help with Nail infections

Hi everyone
I have posted my story in the newcomers section but I am wondering if you can help with some advice re: nail infections.

I finished taxotere 2 months ago and am now on navelbine, herceptin and everolimus/placebo. I have looked after my nails religiously throughout but for the past 2 weeks have been dealing with infections in my nail beds. I am taking antibiotics but I have 4 fingernails now affected. The nail is lifted and there is oozing from beneath the nail. Once the oozing starts the pain is minimal. I am dressing them with gauze and sterile dressings. I bathe them in salty water and then put betadine on them but still the infection remains.

I have healthy nail growing at the base - probably 1/3 way up. I have them polished with hardener and dark colour too. My toes seem ok. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

karen z 08-28-2011 05:53 PM

Re: Help with Nail infections

I don't know any way around this except for time. I had multiple problems during and after taxol with herceptin (in 2005)- infections, black nails, nails falling off, you name it. At this point most of my nails are fine but I still have one or two that just never grew in correctly (both on my feet- hands are o.k. now). I am not sure I would do much in the way of using nail polish, etc. right now. I think I might just wait it out- but ask your medical team. It seems like mine did not want me covering things up, which might add to my problems.

laurab 08-28-2011 09:52 PM

I'm on Herceptin only and having quite a few nail problems including infections. My doctor gave me Keflex (antibiotic) and told me to soak it several times a day with warm water and Epsom Salt. The nail is not normal yet but has improved in just one day.

snolan 08-29-2011 07:39 AM

I had two of my nails get infected they did better when I just cut the nail off and allowed the area to dry up, kept them bandaged when out and about but at home would let them open to air. Once they scabed up infection went away.

Paula O 08-29-2011 07:11 PM

A friend of mine had a lot of problems with nail infections while on chemo. She told me that 2 things were most helpful to her:
1. Tea Tree Oil (from Health Food Store)
2. Vicks Vapor Rub (seems odd but she said someone else on chemo recc to her because it also worked for them.)

I do not know if she checked with her oncologist about these over the counter treatments.

Hope your nails clear up quickly!

Paula

harrie 09-04-2011 01:58 AM

I didn't actually have an infection. I had no exudate come out or pain, but I was able to lift a couple of them up a bit and there was darkening. My onco recommended trea tree oil which I used. It took a while but eventually they went back to normal.
I am not sure, but I vaguely remember someone telling me not to paint them (not absolutely sure about that, but I "think" that's what I was told)

Mandamoo 09-04-2011 11:37 PM

Thankyou for all of the tips. I have been on antibiotics now for 3 weeks. Last week I didn't have chemo - just herceptin as my neutrophils were again too low. I now have all 10 fingers bandaged and have had exudate ooze from 7 of those 10 - I am bandaging the remaining 3 to try and reduce the risk of infection. I moved from soaking in salt water to tea tree oil last night so let's see how that works. I have changed antibiotic this week - little improvement so far and am now putting antibiotic ointment in under the top of the nail. I am not polishing them anymore as they are dressed in bandages (lovely sight!). I had been told to polish using hardener and a dark polish to reduce sunlight getting to the nails. 2 out of the 7 seem to still be oozing some exudate at the moment.

Hopefully, the week 0ff chemo will have helped though I am due again on Wednesday... and the ab's don't seem to have helped that much (doesn't help that I am allergic to penicillin).

Thanks so much for the tips.