HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   trigger finger (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50895)

Myra Lynn 07-27-2011 10:34 PM

trigger finger

I'm having a hard time with joint pain and recently developed a "trigger finger" in my right thumb (in addition to mild swelling in middle finger). I'm starting to lose use of the thumb. Had switched from femara to arimidex due to extreme joint pain. I don't know what I can do next. Anybody have experience or thoughts about this? I take fairly large doses of glucosamine which have always helped my arthritis problems until now. Would try aromasin, but not too hopeful it would be any better. Feeling frightened that I can't tolerate any of it and may have no good options.

BonnieR 07-27-2011 11:17 PM

Re: trigger finger

Myra Lynn, I also developed trigger thumb on my right hand last year. Very disconserting. I had been on Femara. My onc gave me a "break" of a week or two and then we tried Aromasin. So far, so good. She told me that these AIs are fairly interchangable and something not tolerated by one person is okay for another. And even though they are similar, we individually seem to react differently to each. So that I can probably get through to the finish line by swapping again, if needed. And you probably can as well. The trigger thumb went away when I switched drugs. So keep the faith!

Unregistered 07-28-2011 02:29 AM

Hi Myra,

I also had real problems with trigger finger while on arimidex a few years ago. I found it really hard to cope with everyday things and felt after everything I had gone through this was the straw that broke the camle's back!! I had physio and accupuncture which really helped. I stayed on Arimidex and now take turmeric which also helped with swollen finger joints...they have all gone down and no pain at all :-)
My doctor mentioned Aromasin but I felt I wanted to keep that for later just in case Arimidex failed.

Good luck

Myra Lynn 07-28-2011 05:13 AM

You have both given me some real options and a lot of hope. I am most grateful.

tricia keegan 07-28-2011 04:13 PM

Myra I was glad to see your post because I had this on my first year on arimidex and it resolved itself within that first year.

However I just saw my onc last month at five years on arimidex and six years out from dx, she agreed to leave me on it for another two years and I was amazed last week to suddenly develop this again after so long and would be interested to know if anyone else had this or if it's a sign I've been taking this med too long???

Myra Lynn 07-28-2011 09:16 PM

Tricia, I wish the same would happen to me, but it seems that every day it's getting worse. I am trying to reach the osteopath about acupuncture, but I also have to have a talk with my onc. I don't think I can function for too long like this.
Regarding your dilemma, all things being equal, is longer on an AI better? I don't know enough about it. But, I know you are suffering again too. That's a bummer!

BonnieR 07-28-2011 11:44 PM

I think 5 years is considered the usual time for taking an AI. So I figure I got a few years run on Femara. Now I hope to ride it out on Aromisin. But I guess if that caused problems I could switch to yet another to cover at least the 5 years. Thank God we have options. Keep the faith

Myra Lynn 07-29-2011 05:21 AM

I will Bonnie. I could not do it without the rest of you. I have much more confidence in talking with my doctors when I can borrow from everyone's experience. They often have no clue about the effects of these treatments.

hutchibk 07-29-2011 10:26 AM

I was only on Arimadex for about 4 months. Those 4 months were very painful for my hands, though. I woke up with stiff hands and legs/feet every morning and felt 150yrs old... shuffling around until the joints started working. I hated Arimadex. I have been on it, Aromasin and Tamoxifen and it was the only one I had real body pain from. The others didn't bother me at all.

Myra Lynn 07-29-2011 10:56 AM

I thank you for this. It gives me more ammunition to ask the onc for a change. I will do it after my next blood test (since that seems to be an issue). You are another person who inspires me in this struggle. All my best thoughts & hopes for success with T-DM1.

tricia keegan 07-29-2011 03:53 PM

Myra, I'm so sorry this is so rough for you, for me, it's an annoyance rather than a problem and can live with it if I have to as it's surely better than the alternative which may be cancer.
So far I'm clear and have no idea if this is due to arimidex/herceptin or chemo but anxious to remain on this med just in case it's the one keeping me NED!!!

Btw have you tried Lyrica?? I was prescribed this when first I complained to my onc, I did'nt take it for long as it has it's own side effects but you may feel it's worth a try!

Myra Lynn 07-29-2011 05:33 PM

Thanks Tricia, I am sure it's the Arimidex and , armed with everyone's experience, will discuss options with my onc. He didn't believe that joint pain was a side effect of the AI's until I landed in the hospital as a result of femara. I took one month off before starting Arimidex, and was fine for that month. I now live with a permanently swollen finger that no longer bothers me, but the trigger finger is starting to interfere with basic functioning and I imagine it will get worse. I am hopeful we will figure this out, as others here have. Good luck to you too!

Fran 08-17-2013 09:38 AM

I began Exemestane May 1, 2013. For about two weeks I have been having trouble with trigger thumb. I called the oncologists office and the PA stated that he did not think it was the Exemestane. I am supposed to go see my PCP. I am sure it is the exemestane but to appease them I am going to see the PCP. I have other joint aches in both hands but nothing like the right thumb. I see the oncologist at the end of September. I hate to think of my hands being like this for five years.

I saw the PCP and he does not think it is arthritis, he thinks itmismthe Aromasin. Now it is starting in my left thumb and left middle finger. The right thumb is more painful when it locks in the bent position.

I am going to call the oncologist office tomorrow and get my appointment moved up. I am miserable. I am also having some depression but I think it is because my my hands.

Les 09-06-2013 07:20 PM

hi I had trigger finger in my ring finger not caused by medication, i did see a hand surgeon and he gave me a shot of cortisone and it has helped, also he said if it becomes a problem they can do surgery. It is my right hand so i will put it off as long as possible.

Fran 09-08-2013 05:35 PM

Thank you for the information. I saw my oncologist this past Friday and he took me off the Aromasin (exemestane) and put me on Arimidex.

I hope the problem with the trigger thumbs will go away in a couple of weeks. If it doesn't then I will go see the orthopedist. What's one more doctor. I have seen more doctors this year than I have in the past ten years.