HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Afraid what oncologist may tell me this week (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50853)

7andcounting 07-24-2011 10:06 PM

Afraid what oncologist may tell me this week

Hello,

I have been on Navelbine for almost 4 weeks. I have been experiencing a lot of neuropathy in my hands and I am wondering if when I see my oncologist this week if he is going to say I have to come off Navelbine due to this.

I was told that neuropathy can render your hands useless. My onc had told that if I got it I would feel it coming on over time, yet I have had it ongoing for this entire week since my treatment.

Is it reversable? Does anyone know if I am experiencing this now if it is only going to get worse and worse.

I greatly appreciate anyone who has experienced neuropathy and dealing with it to tell me what they did.

Thanks,

Joyce

P.S. I am taking Glutimine and Vit B-6

Pam P 07-25-2011 05:50 AM

Re: Afraid what oncologist may tell me this week

Joyce - I don't have answers to your questions. I have experienced neuropathy to varying degrees - but not to disabling - some numbness and some burning feelings off & on with different chemos I've been on. Each time it has gone away, although with some people it is permanent. If the navelbine is working otherwise I hope you are able to stay on it. Pam

tricia keegan 07-26-2011 11:38 AM

Hi Joyce, I had severe neuropathy at one point during my chemo, (Taxol)my onc prescribed Lyrica and thankfully a few months after chemo ended the neuropathy stopped too little by little.

A friend of mine was not so fortunate and had it in her feet and has had to walk with a cane ever since, if you'd prefer to stay on this drug and it's working for you perhaps your onc can suggest Lyrica or something similar to help!

CoolBreeze 07-26-2011 08:13 PM

I also suggest l-glutamine. I'm not some supplement/naturalist person (to say the least) but this supplement has been studied and has proven to help prevent neuropathy with taxanes. I took it with my first round of chemo and am taking it with Navelbine now, and it's been a month of weekly infusions and I barely have any.

I get a little around the second day but I take 4 grams of l-glutamine 3 x a day before, during and several days post-chemo and it seems to be keeping things at a minimum. Most people don't take enough.

As always, talk to your onc but it won't hurt you.

ElaineM 07-26-2011 08:53 PM

You can also try vitamin B 6. That works for some people.

BonnieR 07-26-2011 09:54 PM

I had neuropathy mostly in my feet and my onc recommended Glutamine which I took daily. Ask about it.
But my onc did stop my TCH early due to the symptoms and just proceeded with the year of Herceptin.
Keep the faith.