HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Spammers (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50783)

BonnieR 07-16-2011 10:42 PM

Spammers

I feel like we were being spammed unmercifully today. I reported a couple of them but they kept coming using different screen names
It seems so cruel when someone is posting in great pain or need of help only to find the reply they anxiously await turns out to be an insensitive dolt who is selfishly intruding on a serious matter.
Is there no way to screen them better? Make them register? I know our board is maintained by volunteers but hoping there is someone who can help them filter out the invaders.
Keep the faith

Rich66 07-17-2011 12:39 AM

Re: Spammers

I vote for requiring registering with a legit e-mail before posting. Wouldn't have to be revealed to all, just the moderator.

DonnaD 07-17-2011 05:18 AM

It seemed to have settled down for awhile and now they are back again, under Update on Barb and Joy is at Peace. They are appearing on my personal e-mail. I know Steph tries very hard to keep the site clean. Does anyone have suggestions on how we can help this issue?

Mary Jo 07-17-2011 05:36 AM

Mine too.....................

Jackie07 07-17-2011 05:47 AM

Coolbreeze had mentioned before about requiring new registered users post ten times before they can post a link. Perhaps our moderators can talk to the tech people and set up something similar?

Patb 07-17-2011 09:01 AM

I am getting insurance quotes, at least four today.
They are under various headings from the past.
Upsetting.
patb

StephN 07-17-2011 10:21 AM

This is very annoying to everyone. I have suggested to others that they go to their USER CP (control panel), scroll down to the "Subscribed" link and make sure you are not subscribed to any threads.
That way the messages will not show up in your person email.
This is a stop gap until some other steps can be taken to limit and thwart these people.

pibikay 07-18-2011 06:41 AM

There has been quite a lot of spammers.And one of the spams contained the name of the poster.Somekind of filter is necessary

Catherine 07-19-2011 09:42 PM

Two weeks ago I went to my Control Panel and put "do not subscribe to threads" as Steph suggested. I have been spam free for 2 weeks now. I wish I were a techie and knew how to help. I vote for some tighter rules like those that have been proposed. Thank you to all who work hard to keep the site clean.

harrie 07-21-2011 12:52 AM

I have been getting spammers on my email from the HER2 site. They got my email from this site and emailed me advertisement for auto ins. The thread they used was the "AI joint pain" thread.