HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   more surgery -now the other leg (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48713)

Pam P 02-07-2011 07:48 PM

more surgery -now the other leg

Have had pain in left thigh for 4-5 days now. Saw the surgeon today for post op on right femur surgery. Told him about the pain & he took xray and compared it to the MRI from December. Conclusion - get the surgery done on left leg sooner than later. Talked to onc, later today & he agrees. I need to call in the morning to find out when I can schedule, The onc wants the surgery this week if possible and as soon as I recover to start a new chemo. This still hasn't really sunk in yet - I don't feel like I'm strong yet from the 1st surgery. The leg is doing fine, but my fatigue and general weakness is still bad. I'll let you know more when I get the surgery scheduled. Pam

CindyE 02-07-2011 08:16 PM

Re: more surgery -now the other leg

Pam -- Sending you positive thoughts and prayers for your situation. Keep us posted as thing progress with the surgery and your recovery.

ElaineM 02-07-2011 08:31 PM

Oh no !! I am so sorry Pam. It is entirely up to you if you want to wait another week to see if you can rest and get a little stronger before the next surgery. You are the only person who knows much your body can do at one time. You have to weigh the pros and cons of doing the surgery this week or next week. You might want to ask the oncologist if you can do Herceptin while you recover from surgery and before you start a new chemo.
Whatever you decide we are behind you 100%. Hang in there and keep going Pam. I have my fingers crossed for you and I think everyone else here does too.
Take good care of yourself.

Dianedack 02-07-2011 09:26 PM

Hi Pam so sorry you have had this news. My thoughts are with you. Looking forward to hearing some good news very soon.

Diane
x

Lani 02-08-2011 12:24 AM

are you anemic? Femur surgeries can lose a lot of blood. Since you are on chemo as well, your ability to replenish your red blood count may be limited.

Since you are about to have a second femur surgery, perhaps you might ask if it wouldn't be smarter/helpful starting with a higher red blood count rather than a lower one.

Definitely wouldn't be good to get woozy from anemia and faint/fall after femur surgeries I would thnk.

Trish 02-08-2011 01:53 AM

Best wishes Pam.
Trish

Jackie07 02-08-2011 04:26 AM

Pam,

There are 'shots' you can get to boost your blood count before your surgery in case the numbers are low. I'm sending you good vibes.

Mary L 02-08-2011 09:11 AM

Pam, I am so sorry that you have to deal with this now. I am praying for you and sending my best wishes. Mary L

Gerri 02-08-2011 09:16 AM

Pam,

So sorry to hear that you are hit with yet another blow. You are so supportive of others even while you are struggling with your treatment. I truly hope that someday soon you will regain your strength and have all of this behind you.

Take good care,

ammebarb 02-08-2011 12:50 PM

I'm thinking of you, Pam, and wishing you well.

Hugs,
Barb A

chrisy 02-08-2011 02:21 PM

Wow Pam,
A lot to take on - focus on getting stronger. I know you are overwhelmed but somehow I still see that fight in you. You may be fatigued, but you have an incredibly strong spirit.

Hugs
Chris

Pam P 02-08-2011 02:22 PM

Thank you everyone for all your well wishes and support. My surgery is now scheduled for Monday 2-14. Happy Valentines Day, huh. I'm dreading this so much - even though I know what to expect and that I made it through once.

I'll have had 17 of the 20 rads by the end of this week so almost got them all in on the right leg/

I know my onc is worried about my ca2729 that is have jumped to 5500 now ( over 2000 pts in 2 months) so he's anxious to get me on different chemo soon after surgery. Halavan, I think. Sure hope it works well for me like its working for Sheila.

krisvell 02-08-2011 02:44 PM

Oh Pam,
Sorry that you are facing another surgery on Valentine's Day. I'm hoping that you get your strength back for next week. Sending hugs and prayers your way,
Kris....

TriciaK 02-08-2011 04:11 PM

Pam, you are in my thoughts and prayers, too. I will be thinking of you Monday especially and will be anxious to hear things went well for you. Hugs, TriciaK

NanaJoni 02-08-2011 04:21 PM

Pam - you will have lots of prayers being said for you as you face this new challenge. You are such an inspiration and show such bravery.

Lori R 02-08-2011 04:24 PM

Pam,
Sorry to hear the news of another procedure....sigh.

We will be sending you lots of valentine well wishes.

With these new reinforced legs, you'll be running marathons in no time. Of course, fueled by a little Halavan. Sure hoping for a speedy recovery and a follow up course of chemo to blast away those cells.

Hugs....Lori

mmoons 02-09-2011 04:42 PM

Pam -

I have been away but you are never far from my thoughts and ALWAYS in my prayers. Poop on another surgery. But Halavan is going to be the magic chemo...!!! It will be the one that gets you back to NED.

Thank you for what you do for me personally every day....you inspire me. I think you are so brave and so wonderful.

Rest well between now and Monday.
Feel the thoughts and prayers coming your way.
Know you can do this surgery just like the other.
Say goodbye to cancer because it is going way soon.

Love,
Maureen

Patb 02-09-2011 05:51 PM

So sorry to hear you need another surgery. I will be
praying for you and wish you a quick recovery. REST
What a trooper you are.
patb

Becky 02-09-2011 07:07 PM

I am thinking about you at this time. Hang in there.

Laurel 02-09-2011 07:53 PM

Pam,

I am really sorry to hear of your struggles. I will keep you in my prayers for a swift recovery and renewed strength and vitality. I hope you do respond to Halavan as well as our Sheila.

Laurel