HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   New Here (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48712)

Nan103 02-07-2011 06:03 PM

New Here

Hi, all. Never got around to joining but I've been lurking here, looking for answers since I got dx'd last May. Glad to be part of this group--well, you know what I mean.

My hair is growing back, fatigue is lessening. I kept working through the whole shebang, taking days here and there and going home early when I was too tired to work. Had no debilitating side effects from chemo (other than fatigue), but it was certainly no picnic. Now on my last week of radiation therapy, I have a burn right at the underside of my breast where it meets the chest. So that's where I'm at.

krisvell 02-07-2011 06:56 PM

Re: New Here

Welcome Nan,
This is a wonderful site with lots of knowlegeable and caring people. I am proud to be a HER2 member like you are now.
You are doing really well with your treatments. You're on the home stretch. The rest is easy.

Kris....

flynny 02-07-2011 07:25 PM

Welcome to the group! Glad you found us.

NanaJoni 02-07-2011 07:41 PM

Nan - I also say welcome to a place where you'll find lots of caring and support. I'm just a few months ahead of where you are. I'll finish Herceptin in late May. You've been through the worst of it already - you're in the home stretch. Good luck on the rest of your treatments.

sassy 02-07-2011 08:35 PM

Welcome to a group of caring, sharing, insightful, informed, just all around good folks ready to lend an ear to listen, a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold and time to celebrate with you as you reach each milestone.

If you need us......we are here.

Dianedack 02-07-2011 09:07 PM

Welcome. I have only just joined also the forum is so helpful these ladies know everything!

Diane

Elizabethtx 02-07-2011 09:50 PM

Welcome, i am fairly new also! You will find so many positive encouraging people here. If you have any questions ask as we all have experiences to share. Take care!

Mel3 02-07-2011 10:46 PM

Welcome! I am fairly new also and I just finished radiation last Friday. I'm glad to hear you're doing well!

Trish 02-08-2011 01:59 AM

Well done Nan. You are obviously mad of strong stuff to have worked through all that. The rest will surely be much easier.
Trish

Jackie07 02-08-2011 03:57 AM

Welcome, Nan.

Please check with your (radiation) oncology nurse about the cream for burns. I was given a sample lotion (?) in 2004 when I was experiencing burns on the radiation site. It worked very well.

Jackie07 02-08-2011 04:08 AM

Here's a thread with some good discussions on 'radiation burns' and nail issues:

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...ighlight=nails

tricia keegan 02-08-2011 07:05 AM

Hi Nan and welcome, I'm glad you found us and hope your burn heals very soon!

Mary L 02-08-2011 08:17 AM

Welcome Nan, Yes you have found the right site. You can always stop in when you have a question or just to visit. I found that Eucerin worked well on my radiation burns but check with your Dr. Best wishes. Mary L

NanaJoni 02-08-2011 08:48 AM

Hi Nan - my radiation folks gave me several things - silvadene cream and a gel to use on my burns. It healed very quickly with those. They gave them to me during the treatments as soon as they noticed skin changes and I used them immediately after the treatments so that may have helped prevent worse burning. They should still give you something now to help with healing.

Nan103 02-08-2011 11:01 AM

Thanks, everyone. My burn is feeling a little better than yesterday. The rad onc nurses have been helping me with cream and xeroflo. Two more treatments! I am throwing myself a big gala to celebrate on March 11. Anyone whoever said a kind word to me about cancer is invited. It's keeping my spirits up to plan it. Of course, unfortunately, the gala doesn't really mark the end of tx since Herceptin goes on and on and on.

TriciaK 02-08-2011 04:32 PM

Welcome, Nan! This is not a "club" one seeks out normally but what a blessing it is when it is needed! I've fought BC 4 times in 25 years, but the 5 or 6 years since I found this site have been so much easier because of the information, love and caring received here. My thoughts and prayers are with you as well as the many others. Never hesitate to come here to share fears, sorrows, hope and love. You won't find a more caring place. Hugs, TriciaK

laureen 02-08-2011 07:10 PM

Welcome Nan. Glad to see you post. Sounds like you have done great. My advice is allow yourself to feel. Emotions are strong. For sure celebrate, I do something everyday that makes me smile and usually cry too. I used to love to joke with the rad techs, all they see is mens privates and womens chests. I think I would rather look at boobies than the alternative. See I just made myself smile.

schoolteacher 02-09-2011 01:25 PM

Welcome to our group, Nan.

Amelia