HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   swelling in masectomy area - radiologist concerned (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48287)

candlegranny 01-03-2011 08:54 PM

swelling in masectomy area - radiologist concerned

It has been almost 1 yr since I was diagnosed. I am on herceptin now and will be until June. I visited my radiology oncologist last week. I have some swelling just below my scar. i have lymphedema pretty bad, so my therapist said she thought it was just fluid.. My radiologist agreed last week, but today I got a message from him on my machine that wants me to call him about the swelling. didnt get message until early evening (ran all day) Now I am really concerned. I had my mugga scan today, was told it looked good. I have my CT/PET scan Thursday and an appt with my oncologist next week. I am sure it will all come out ok, I am still on herceptin and the cancer before responded to that very well and disappeared so why am I nervous, scared, concerned and really worried about calling the radiologist back tomorrow? Is this normal emotions? I dont want to stress out but.....

NanaJoni 01-03-2011 09:10 PM

Re: swelling in masectomy area - radiologist concerned

Candlegranny - your emotions are VERY normal. I can't speak for others, but every little ache or pain or abnormal thing makes me just terrified. You didn't say if your radiologist did any tests and what they might have been. They could just be calling to let you know everything is all right. I won't tell you not to worry - but I will say try put some positive thoughts in among all those fears. Sounds like you've gotten good reports so try to concentrate on some of those until tomorrow. I will tell you that I read another of your posts and saw the quote under your signature by Elizabeth Edwards. It made such an impression on me that I copied it, put it in a big, bold font and printed it out so I can look at it every day. So I want to thank you for that and tell you I'll keep you in thoughts and prayers tonight. Please let us know what you hear from the rad doc tomorrow.

Catherine 01-03-2011 09:17 PM

Candlegranny,

Good luck tomorrow. Hopefully, it will be a routine call. For inspiration...read Elaine's post on 12 years and counting. Reach out to friends, this is what I do when I get scared.

Thinking of you,
Catherine

Becky 01-04-2011 05:40 AM

You will see today what your rad onc's concern is.

I will tell you it is probably related to the lymphedema. As you probably know, lymphedema is a "quandrant" disease. The body's lymph system drains in 4 quandrants. Upper right, lower right, upper left, lower left. Therefore, your masectomy site is the same quandrant as the affected arm. Your doctor should be concerned if the lymphedema is worsening (although your fear is that it is something worse - I really understand that, we all do).

None the less, although the diagnosis of worsening lymphedema may be a relief, it is still something to reckon with and you need to get advice on it now so you can totally reduce it in that area. Arms are bad enough but that can be an uncomfortable place to have it.

I know you will be fine. I know it is hard to have faith and trust that everything is working. At least you know your neoadjuvant treatment did. Over 6 years ago I asked my onc "how do we know it is working". And he told me "we only know when it doesn't work". How nice we know upfront that it works, eh?

Much love to you. Keep us posted.

candlegranny 01-04-2011 05:49 AM

Thank you for the positive replies. I am waiting now for the time to call the doctor. Becky, that is my thought, the lymphedema. maybe when i do my MLD i dont move the fluid enough across my chest. thank you for the thoughts and prayers. will keep you posted as soon as I find out something. I do have a PET/CT scan shceduled for Thursday and feel so good and positive about those results, will let you know about those too. Thanks for being here guys! Like many others you have been there for, I am so thankful for this board and all it's members. Bonita

candlegranny 01-04-2011 06:09 AM

just talked to doctor. he wants to see me today. I will see him right after I see my lymphedema therapist. I really believe it is like Becky said and associated with my arm. I will certainly know more after my PET/CT scan Thursday. Until then I will stand firm on my belief.

schoolteacher 01-04-2011 06:29 AM

Please let us know how you are doing.

Amelia

candlegranny 01-04-2011 03:19 PM

Saw my rad onc today. He was feeling around on my remaining breast and discovered the same feeling under that one. it is part of ME. i think it really has to do with my lymphedema and so does my lymphedema therapist. She said hopefully my arm will go down little by little and when that happens the other swellings will go away. I have a PET/CT scan on Thursday and meeting with my oncologist on monday. I am certain my tests will show good results ( mugga too). I will post again on Monday after seeing my oncologist. Thanks for your big shoulders and great support! You guys cannot beat!! your are the best. Bonita