HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Had 1yr follow-up mammo today w/results - Feedback Please? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47784)

greenacres 12-01-2010 06:12 PM

Had 1yr follow-up mammo today w/results - Feedback Please?

Mammogram today - first one since diagnosis on 12/2/2009. New lump on cancer side. They think swollen lymph node but radiologist is not sure, could be good/bad. Leaving it up to Dr. to biopsy. Mammo&U/S looked "good" to radiologist, but recommending MRI because breasts SO dense and cancer could be hiding.

Talk to oncologist next Thu, so now it's hurry up and WAIT. All in all, so far, so good.... Heart scan, find out results next week as well (to make sure Herceptin is not causing damage).

My question is has anyone had a follow-up with a swollen lymph node, had it biopsied and found it to be cancer? She would have said if it felt like "scar tissue" or found a benign finding so I don't honestly know why she is leaving it up to my oncologist. She definately is recommending the MRI in case there is cancer hiding in there.

Should I insist on a biopsy? Since I had ALH (atypical lobular hyperplasia) found close to the cauterized margin on my lumpectomy surgery, (and I know lobular cancer does not show up on mammograms), but do they show up on MRI's?

My HER2 is a strong +++ and my cancer was high grade (3), Stage 1 IDC with some DCIS and ALH. I am scared.

Sandra

Laurel 12-01-2010 06:41 PM

Re: Had 1yr follow-up mammo today w/results - Feedback Please?

Sandra,

I cannot allay your fears with any information, but I do want to wish you well. I have heard of lymph nodes being negative when they have shown up on a mammo. Your radiologist is right to suggest an MRI and I am sure your onc with order it. I suspect they will recommend a bx based on the MRI findings. You certainly have the right to push for a bx if that is what your gut tells you. Sometimes it is worth the pain and suffering to have the peace of mind. Sorry you are in the purgatory of wait-and-see. Hope things move fast and your fears are vanquished.

Sherryg683 12-02-2010 01:25 AM

I had a mammogram a few years ago that they saw something suspicous on..it was the same side as my lumpectomy. My oncologist did not want to order an ultrasound because he felt he knew what it was, scar tissue. I went around him and had a doctor at the hospital where they do the mammograms at order a ultrasound, sure enough it was just scar tissue. Didn't do a biopsy because they felt it wasn't necessary. It has never lit up on pet scans or anything.

greenacres 12-02-2010 02:56 PM

Thank you! They just called and my MRI is scheduled for 12/7 at 4:00 pm. I'll keep you posted! :)

BonnieR 12-02-2010 04:11 PM

Of course you are scared. That is our normal reaction in these situations. But as someone said here recently, "it isn't something until it IS". And our doctors don't want to leave any stone unturned, which is good. But it fuels our fears, too.
Keep the faith.

tricia keegan 12-03-2010 04:37 PM

I had a similar thing happen but my surgeon was sure it was scar tissue and thankfully it was! Hoping for the same for you:)

WolverineFan 12-05-2010 08:34 PM

I had a swollen lymph node as well, and it was biopsied, but no signs of cancer. Will be thinking of you. Please keep us posted on how the MRI goes.

ElaineM 12-05-2010 08:44 PM

Maybe the suspicious lymph node will show up on the MRI, and your doctors can figure out what to do about it. I would wait until the MRI results are available to ask for the biopsy.

Catherine 12-05-2010 10:28 PM

Sounds like a MRI is the right idea and hopefully it will just be swollen lymphs. When I first found my lump....the protocol was mammo, mri, ultra sound (and then this is when they said...we need to do a biopsy). Thinking of you on the 7th.

All the very best,

PatriceH 12-06-2010 07:09 PM

We'll all be hoping for good news! Hang in there!