HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Removing Ovaries (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47236)

shonda 10-16-2010 05:05 PM

Removing Ovaries

I would like to hear from ladies that had their ovaries removed. What were some side effects from this? My GYN ONC told me it is like going 100mph in a car and hitting a brick wall when you surgically induce menopause, but necessary in these circumstances. I have been in treatment for 4.5 years and have always wanted to remove them, but being this young 32 at the original DX the ONC took other measures until now (37) and my liver biposy suggest that I could respond well to AI's even though originally I didn't respond to tomixifen for very long. Maybe 4 months? Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday and I am not scared at all, but I would like to know what I am in store for afterwards.

Thank you :)

Becky 10-16-2010 05:47 PM

Re: Removing Ovaries

I had my ovaries removed but I was 46. I did so for a variety of reasons. One is that I was only moderately ER+ but PR neg (as well as highly Her2+) and Tamoxifen usually does not work well in that situation. I was in chemopause but 7 months after my last chemo my period came back and I wanted to get the ovaries removed to take an AI. Secondly, my paternal grandmother died from ovarian cancer - a cancer that I believe is not as treatable as breast.

Since I was premenopausal when removing the ovaries, but the side effects weren't apparent at first. My onc didn't want me to start the Arimidex until about 3 weeks after surgery so we could bring the estrogen down gradually. Since your ovaries aren't there to produce, it takes about a month for your body to rid of the excess that is not produced by the adrenal gland and fat cells (it is this estrogen the AIs stop). So, my onc did not want me to go into a severe slide. After that, and then adding Arimidex, I did have vaginal dryness issues and I did go through a period of bladder infections too (there are estrogen receptors on the bladder so the bladder does thin out too and some women can get alot of bladder infections when going thru menopause. I was certainly one of those women but have no problems now).

I did not have severe hot flashes either although some women do. I still will have a flash now and again (and I am over 5 yrs out from the ooph).

It is a simple surgery with an easy recovery. If I think of anything else, I will post again.

sassy 10-16-2010 06:44 PM

Shonda,

I had my ovaries removed after having been in chemically induced menopause for 4 1/2 years. Chemo put me in menopause at 45; I had Lupron shots for 4 years, then ovaries out last November. My onc described chemo induced menopause exactly the same way--like slamming into a brick wall--but at the time, I had a lot more on my plate with treatment, so hot flashes and side effects of menopause were not my top concern. For me, having my ovaries removed allowed me to stop taking the Lupron shots, and I have actually had less hot flashes since.

Sorry my experience probably isn't much help as applied to your situation. The surgery itself is easy. Just a couple of days of nothing strenuous--which was kind of nice!

Best of luck to you.

Jackie07 10-16-2010 11:56 PM

I had experienced chemopause after just three infusion of FEC in 2003 when I was 43. I did not experience too much problems because I was very fatigued from the chemo to begin with. I've been experiencing lots of bladder infection - glad to read the explanation by Becky. I had hysterectomy/oophorectomy this January and so far everything's fine. I've been feeling much better because I am no longer experiencing the severe peeling of my lips (a sign of low-grade fever - possible infection/problems somewhere in my system?)

You do want to watch out for your bones. The <hystersister> site has quite a lot of information about menopause.

jellybean 10-17-2010 12:07 PM

Sassy,

I am in a similar situation to yours. I have had Zoladex injections for over 3 years, and I have been taking Femara. I am trying to decide whether to have my ovaries removed when I do my exchange surgery. Am I correct in understanding that your menopausal symptoms actually were better after the surgery than with the injections?

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I don't know anyone else in the same situation.

Thanks in advance for your help.

JB

tricia keegan 10-17-2010 03:29 PM

Like Becky I was forty six and just finished chemo whn I had my ooph, but I had no side effects like your Gyno said.

It was the easiest surgery ever and apart from some bruising for a few days I felt fine the next day, and have had no problems since!!!:)

I should add I've been taking arimidex for four years and do have the usual achey bones but nothing too bad or that I can't handle and still exercise and do all the things I used to.

sassy 10-17-2010 06:42 PM

Jellybean,

I think the improvements that I have experienced are more attributal to suspension of Lupron, than removal of ovaries. The Lupron itself has side effects. I feel that it increased both the severity and frequency of my hot flashes. I still have some, but not nearly as severe as before. I also feel than my mental accuity has improved as well as slight increase in energy level. I've also lost about 10 pounds, whereas before, my weight kept creeping up. I'm hoping to continue to loose with a little more effort on my part!

PM me if you have more questions. Seems not many have taken this route.

Trish 10-17-2010 09:19 PM

I had ooph because my onc wanted to switch me from Tamoxifen to Arimedex. There was some ovarian activity evident on ultrsound although I was otherwise in menopause. It didn't exacerbate the symptoms any but I did suffer hot flashes for some time both before and after ooph. It was a very uncomplicated procedure for me. Al the best.
Trish

kk1 10-19-2010 06:32 AM

Jelly;

I also did zoladex shots to suppress ovarian function for 4 years and had miserable drippy embarrassing hot flashes and menopause symptoms the entire time. A year and half ago I had an ooph and what a difference! I feel so much better. Hot flashes are now only occasional and mild and the bladder infections are less frequent.

suzan w 10-20-2010 03:10 PM

I had ooph because of a BRCA 2 positive test. It was much easier than the appendectomy I had the year before! Both done through belly button!!! I was up and about the same day with very little pain.